[Faith-Talk] Church plays

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:21:38 UTC 2023

Oh yes, I was in drama. We were a small group both times I did something. First when I was high school age. We were called loaves and fishes, and one of the youths who was a budding screen. Writer wrote the Scripps. We practiced during Sunday school time. It was our way of not so much being entertainment as getting the gospel out a different way. Not everybody learns by hearing. Everybody processes things differently. It was a lot of fun and we did that in front of church or in front of the Sunday school classes.  Now our former script, writer is a newspaper reporter in Illinois! I was excepted just as anybody else. They made large print copies of the script for me. Everything was pretty hands on so it wasn’t a big deal. Then again when you’re amongst friends, it doesn’t feel weird if you screw up.

The second time I did it I was in college. We were clowns that shared the message. We went to Sunday schools in the area and performed. We basically mind so it was more of a challenge but we practiced and we got it to work for all of us. We kind of got early and scanned out the room. We were performing in that way I could plan where I was going to be. We had a narrator of some sort, so I had verbal cues. That was also a blast. The name foolish wisdom was taken from a New Testament reading. For the life of me I can’t recall right now, but it’s the same one where we are called salt of the Earth I believe, and  I might be wrong but it’s probably in first Corinthians one. Otherwise it’s somewhere in Matthew five. Not quite sure.

I don’t see it what’s wrong with a performance as long as it’s sharing the gospel or a biblical story. It keeps kids engaged, especially nowadays when they watch too many videos of this that the other thing. These please send a positive message. Anyhow, Jesus taught by parables and , and that’s basically what this is, a parable in action, so to speak, rather than someone just sitting under a tree, telling a story.

Ericka Nelson