[Faith-Talk] Food for Thought: Is There Still a Need for SpecializedBibles

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Sun May 28 00:57:33 UTC 2023

I understand why you’ve asked the question. The problem here is I really do think there are organizations because there are a lot of congregations that are not aware of these and leaders don’t have the time to Google this stuff. I think most of the senior crowd these days could handle an app. I just think that sometimes it’s more efficient to just contact an agency. Perhaps a resource sheet for pastors would be an important part of this group finally, and distribute them to the leaders of Disability offices in the headquarters of different denominations. I have learned that just because there is in office doesn’t mean that they are well aware of what their job really entitles and what resources are out there.  The new person for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is a bit more aware because I already know her, but the previous person had no clue and really couldn’t understand why Blind people didn’t feel welcome. She had a hidden disability of which I can’t recall, but she didn’t know a thing about anyone  as a resource. At this point the congregation have to educate these folks hired for these positions. A possibly related question is does anybody remember when the library of Congress put out a magazines in special media catalog? These agencies and their materials were in there, but I haven’t seen it updated. I think the last one I had was from like 2005.  Maybe it was not seen as a real importance to the library of Congress, but it was really nice to be able to hand somebody a copy of that like a pastor.

Ericka Nelson