[Flagdu] [Nfbf-l] May I ask a question.

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 16:31:48 UTC 2009

David and list, I agree with most of what Marion says and was actually going
to answer in a similar way, but let me add that years ago, when serving as
president of the National Federation of the Blind Greater Orlando Chapter
and vice-president of the NFBF, I did advocate with local scholarship
winners in Orlando when DBS insisted that because DBS helps them procure
equipment and pay for school, the scholarship winner should return the
scholarship from NFB-GOC to DBS. I was furious and went all the way to the
top on that one. One person did give her winnings to DBS, but it was after
much advice from me not to do so. This was in the pre Craig Kiser era.

I do believe that DBS was making many progressive strides when Craig Kiser
was director. I am acquainted with their present director and am frankly
surprised at the turn the O&A center in Daytona has taken. I believe that
advocacy from NFBF for those seeking help from DBS is done more on an
individual case-by-case basis rather than having some sort of state-wide
policy.

We have, however, participated in phone conferences with FAASB so our input
is noted, though not necessarily acted upon.

I also think we need to take into careful consideration our advocacy
efforts. How much can we really advocate for the blind when several people
are employed by DBS. This also spills over into transportation as there are
those who also work for transportation companies who serve the disabled in
Florida.

I would actually like to see NFB work to drive NAC out of Florida, as
accreditation by this organization holds no validity.

Why should you joiner NFB? Primarily because if you want to change something
about an organization--if you want to move it forward-- you can only do so
from the inside out. Putting forth negativity from the outside-in only hurts
that organization and minimizes your own view. Having been both more and
less involved with NFB over the years, I have found that my views are noted
far more if I am working in the organization to change what it means to be
blind, rather than just being an outside observer. Whether I agree or
disagree with policies, I find my choice is to do what I can to help the
blind throughout Florida and this country and I can do that more effectively
being part of NFB than by being out there on my own.

Just my thoughts and I thank you for asking these questions.
Sherri