[Flagdu] welcome to all new list members! and recap of the annual FLAGDU meeting

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Jun 24 03:25:26 UTC 2010

Hello to all,

As FLAGDU's President, and moderator of this list, I wanted to welcome all
those who were recently subscribed to the guide dog users list by NFB net's
David Andrews.  The list is pretty quiet, but I hope now that many of
FLAGDU's members, those who recently payed their dues, are members of this
list, we will start communicating with one another more frequently.

Many of us enjoyed a great convention in Orlando over the Memorial Day
weekend.  There were approximately 30 people who attended our FLAGDU
meeting.  A thank you goes out to David Bearden who was a big help in
selling $84 worth of 50/50 tickets.  Betty McNally was the lucky winner of
42 dollars in the drawing.  We all thought that was great, since it was
Betty's last FLAGDU meeting, not only as a board member, but as a member of
our affiliate.  She has moved to Vancouver, Washington, to be closer to her
children.  We'll miss her, but NFB's Washington affiliate has gained a
valuable member!

We held elections for president, treasurer, secretary and two board members.
I was reelected President, Mike Lamb is now Treasurer, Laurel Brown was
reelected secretary.  David Bearden was reelected to the board, and Sherri
Brun now holds a board position.  Vice President Merry Schoch and Board
member Toni Clavie   complete the FLAGDU Board.

Representatives from Southeastern and the Seeing Eye spoke at our meeting.
Michael Hingson was invited as well, and spoke about life with his guide
dogs.  Mike also spoke to the entire convention about his escape from the
World Trade Center on 9 11, walking down 78 flights of stairs with his guide
dog.  Everyone was very moved by his presentation which stressed teamwork
and trust.

Marion Gwizdala, president of our National Association of Guide Dog Users,
attended the meeting and spoke about the latest project of the organization,
which is an education and advocacy hotline.  It is not up and running yet,
but it will not be long before this happens.  We will keep you posted and
fill you in on the details.

Toard the end of the meeting, six of us presented a skit...a lighthearted
look at an important issue.  Our skit told the incredible true story of how
Merry Schoch simply wanted to stop for ice-cream after a long day of
attending her Master's degree classes.  She was confronted with too many
folks who were totally oblivious to the access laws which gave her the right
to eat her delicious ice-cream while being accompanied by her guide dog
kappie.  The shop employee finally relented, but only after being told by a
policeman that she could be taken to jail if  she refused to let Merry eat
inside the shop with Kappie.  Merry finally got to have her ice-cream, and a
lot of people were educated about Florida's access law 413.08 that night.

Speaking of advocacy, we gave out laminated cards to our members at the
meeting.  These have a brief summary of Florida's guide dog access law on
one side, while the other side says that the cards are in honor of Dave
Anspach, our beloved Pinellas chapter President   and FLAGDU Treasurer, who
passed away suddenly in June of 2009.  At the bottom of the card is the toll
free number for the previously mentioned NAGDU hotline, which will be coming
soon.

 All of the board members are on this list, so don't hesitate to write
comments or suggestions to us.  Also, please let us know about any access
problems you may encounter, or even access challenges which you were able to
work through yourself and resolve amicably.  It's good to read positive
stuff on this list, too!!

I will be attending our NFB national convention in Dallas, along with board
member Sherri Brun.  We'll let you know how things go for us and our dogs.
This will be my new dog Fallon's first national convention, so please send
good thoughts our way! (smile)

Warm regards,
Sherrill O'Brien, President
Florida Association of Guide Dog Users