[Flagdu] Can You be Required to Pay Fees for Licensing Your ServiceDog?

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Wed Mar 14 01:59:03 UTC 2012

Hello Marion,

I disagree with your position that a service dog handler should be required
to show proof of qualifications as a service dog.  As an owner trainer I
don't have such 'proof' and my dog may work the same or even better then a
school trained dog that has  proof.

In Martin County the requirement is for a 'Seeing Eye Dog' as written in the
ordinance.  Technically they have no clue what they are talking about since
this expression Seeing Eye Dog is used as a generic guide dog.

I walked in to the licensing office with my dog in harness functioning as a
guide dog and no one questioned it.

Maybe I was just lucky but if it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck
etc.

JODY