[Flagdu] thanks to all who participated/FLAGDU roundup

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu May 31 17:20:48 UTC 2012

Dear Sherrill,

I was surprised by the event, at the back of the hotel where the relief area
was.
Suddenly, it was just there.  We were given no warning about it, nor an
alternative route to take to get to the area.
We just had to deal with it.
The hotel did not mention it in the staff meeting, we had on Friday and if
they had, I would have said something then, but no one knew until it was a
fact.
It has never happened before in all of the 6 other times we have met in the
Embassy Suites.
If we have a convention here again, I will make sure it is addressed
Pre-convention.
On another note.
I would like to see us have some discussion about relief areas, at
conventions and at airports and on ships.
I think that we could lead the way in making these areas more beneficial and
convenient for guide dog users and others with service animals and pets that
are traveling.
A guide dog user should not have to leave the security area to relieve their
dog and chance missing their flight, nor have to go through screening
multiple times, just because they have a guide dog.
We could advise the TSA as to how to better handle guide dogs users and
other animals owners as they travel by plane or ship
This might be especially timely as we are considering having a state
convention on board a cruise ship in the future.

Another idea I had was what to do with your guide dog if you want to go on
rides at Disney World and you can not take them with you on rides such as
Thunder Mountain Railway or Space Mountain and you do not want to put them
in the kennels.
Maybe we could organize a special tour group for guide dog users, that would
have a couple of people who stay off the rides and just hold or mind our
guide dos while we ride the rides.
Disney has special services for visitors with the "fast pass" that lets you,
and your group, go right to the head of the line and provides a guide person
that helps expedite your ride and tour group around the park.
We might even be able to sell special tickets to this as a fund raiser, not
just for Nagdu but to the sighted NFB members too.
We have 2 years to think about and organize it.

David Evans and GD Jack.