[Flagdu] FW: [nagdu] A CCB resolution on changes to have certification for service dogs

Toni King tkk at samobile.net
Thu Apr 3 14:21:28 UTC 2014

Hello,
I know this is a tough subject and we have plenty of people on both sides.
All I do know is I am encountering more and more "pets" in public
businesses.  Just recently I was traveling in Central FL and twice
had a little dog  growling and trying to get to my guide. These dogs
were little so not much concern on my part and my guide paid them no
attention but the noise they were making got a lot of attention from
the other people in the stores.  Both these dogs were being carried one
in a little doggy pouch and one on lead and after the dog saw mine she
picked him up.
Another time in a restaurant as we wer walking to the table we heard a
large dog bark and start growling. i asked to be seated  away from that
table. The waitress stated the two men come in with their dogs about
twice a week.  Neither dog had on any type of vest or sign saying  they
were service dogs.
Every time the dogs saw my guide they would bark and growl. The
waitress shared the manager was unwilling to ask about the dogs for
fear of causing an issue.
here in Tallahassee at one of the Wal-marts a man comes in with a large
very dirty dog off lead. When the manager approached him about his dog
the man started yelling, cussing and stating his dog was a service dog
and he would sue if they made him leave.  I no longer go into that
store since this dog is there on a regular bases. The dog is off lead
and I won't take any chances.
i did inform the store we have a leash law here and even if the dog was
a service dog it must be on lead. I feel most business owners are not
aware they do have rights and if the dog is not behaving, or is off
lead etc they do have the right to ask them to leave. I do  feel there
are more people bringing their pets in to stores and places of
business. My number one concern is the bad behavior of these dogs and
how will it impact our rights to bring our service dogs in.
Also the concern of our service dogs being attacked by badly behaved dogs.

I am unsure what the answer to this is, but I do know I am seeing this
more and more.

Sincerely,
Toni

--
Check out my blog
www.samobile.net/users/tkk/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature.... Life
is either a daring adventure or nothing.
   Helen Keller, The Open Door (1957)

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras