[Flagdu] FW: [nagdu] A CCB resolution on changestohave certification for service dogs

Janet DeLuca janetsyear2010 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 19:08:54 UTC 2014

I agree 100% that some schools push out dogs that have no business being in the public. However that’s why it’s so important for businesses to know their legal rights.
There are many ways to get funding for TV or Radio ads, and I’ll be willing to share them at some point. I have already suggested the small poster for business and other groups are jumping on it. Below is the information about service dogs.
 A dog with an appropriate temperament could become an effective service dog.
The Americans with Disabilities Act defines a service animal as "any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability ... regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government .
Choosing a Dog
Seek professional guidance when evaluating your pet or selecting the animal you plan to train as your service dog. Assistance dogs can begin as rescues or pets, or as dogs bred for this purpose, but not all dogs have the proper temperament. In her article, "Choosing the Right Dog," Veronica Morris states, "Your best bet is to either choose a puppy whose mother has the temperament for service work or choose an adult dog from a stable home  environment that already has the right temperament.
Health and Temperament Screenings
The Delta Society explains that service dog candidates must pass entry screenings "for aptitude and health with consideration for age, physical soundness, soundness of temperament ... size, expected longevity" and behavioral issues.
The dog must pass a physical exam performed by a veterinarian, be vaccinated, spayed or neutered, not underweight or overweight, physically suited to tasks and work conditions and have an expected working life of at least six years.
The dog must be screened for temperament appropriate to required tasks and working conditions. Service dogs should be confident, friendly, but not overly so, be willing to interact with people in unfamiliar environments, not have inappropriate fear reactions to ordinary experiences and not be excessively submissive or assertive.
An owner trained and self-certified service dog has the same access rights as a dog from a service dog program, but even if you have trained dogs before, you should work with a professional dog trainer or participate in a program that helps you train your own service dog. Complete professionally supervised obedience and socialization classes. Service dogs must receive training in three areas--obedience, tasks and public access. The dog must never exhibit behaviors such as aggression, inappropriate barking, biting, snapping, growling, begging or inappropriate jumping on or sniffing people.
Specific Disability Training
Service dogs should be taught to perform a variety of tasks depending on  people's disabilities and needs. You and your dog must complete specific disability related service training so your dog will be comfortable executing at least three tasks that will assist you with your disability. Dogs are trained to guide the visually impaired, alert the hearing impaired and help people with mobility issues by retrieving dropped or needed items, opening doors and assisting with balance.
Training Standards and Test
Complete six months of training using the minimum training standards for public access, and pass the Public Access Test, which requires an evaluation performed in person in a variety of situations. Although any professional dog trainer can administer the test, certification should be completed by someone qualified to evaluate service animals. Have the test videotaped so you have a record in case legal issues arise.
Proof of certification is not required in the United States. Many states lack training programs for certification, so the Department of Justice uses an "honor system, by making the tasks the dog is trained to perform on command ... to assist a disabled person, rather than certification ID, the primary way to differentiate between a service dog and a pet," according to the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners.