[Flagdu] ideas from flagdu for meet the blind month, two attachments

Sherrill O'Brien Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Wed Sep 3 20:55:21 UTC 2014

Hello to all,

I know our chapters are busy making exciting plans for Meet the Blind Month,
which will be here before we know it. During our FLAGDU Board meeting last
night, we agreed that it's important, in our October planning, to include
education about the White Cane Law as it pertains to those using guide dogs.
It's also crucial to   provide businesses and the public with information
regarding access laws in Florida. Our Florida statute 413.08  is where this
information is found. 413.081 deals with penalties for interfering with a
guide dog and handler, or injuring a guide dog. I have attached these laws,
which are in one document, in case you would like to review or print it.

I have also attached the brochure NAGDU produced some years ago called
Meeting a Working Guide Dog Team. This brochure is available from NFB's
national office, so if you are ordering other materials from Baltimore, I
would encourage you to include this brochure in your order. The public is
always interested in guide dogs, so this is a perfect way to educate folks
about how they should interact with a guide dog team, and learn a little
more about the role of the guide dog and its handler.

Stay tuned, as we may be sending more helpful material about guide dogs for
you to use for your Meet the Blind activities.

Warm regards
]Sherrill