[Flagdu] Are they just drama queens or are they really trying to convey a certain message when they sigh?

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 07:55:25 UTC 2015

My daughter sent me this and I found it quite interesting, although I
realized most of it.

Are they just drama queens or are they really trying to convey a certain
message when they sigh?
Groaning and sighing are pretty common dog sounds and they can express
diverse emotions such as happiness and frustration.

It is important to learn what these signs mean and to know how to interpret
their language in general.

"Oh, yeah. That feels awesome."
If he starts groaning or sighing when you're petting him, it is not a sign
of discomfort. He's are actually expressing his genuine delight.

When he's groaning while you're petting him, your dog is telling you that it
feels great, and by making this sound he's in fact encouraging you to keep
it up.

"I surrender."
Sighing can sometimes mean defeat. If your pooch was eyeballing some of your
food while you were eating and he now realizes he's not getting any, you
might hear him groaning as a way of saying: "Oh, well. Maybe next time."

"Sleepy. So sleepy"
If you've been for a walk or had a session of playing fetch, your pooch is
probably tired and needs to doze off a bit. Sighing in these situations is
usually accompanied by other signs of pre-napping behavior such as
stretching out.

"I'm not feeling that great."
Groaning and sighing can sometimes mean health issues and discomfort, as
well. You can mistake sighing for wheezing, which is a common indication of
respiratory conditions such as chronic bronchitis.

If the sighing and groaning are too frequent and excessive, it could also
mean your pooch is in pain and it is time to set up an appointment with the
veterinarian

Sherri Brun

NFBF Newsline Chair
flmom2006 at gmail.com

Character is the side of yourself you choose to show the world.
Integrity is what you do, what you say and how you act when you think no one
is paying attention.