[Flagdu] Should Service Dogs in training be allowed in the public schools?

Jody Ianuzzi thunderwalker321 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:53:41 UTC 2015

It has been my experience as a student parent and grandparent that schools first reaction to anything new and different is to say no. There are even schools that don't want a blind child to use a white cane because they think it is dangerous.

My favorite excess denial problem actually happened at my granddaughters school. The school was in my neighborhood and I walked down to the school to pick her up. The temporary gate guard told me that I could not enter school grounds with my dog. I explained that she was a guide dog and she went everywhere that I went. Then the guard told me that I could only enter school grounds after all the children had left. I said that it was OK my dog was wonderful with children she was a guide dog and would be fine. Then the guard told me that I would have to walk through the bus line in the front of the school and that would not be allowed. Again I said that my dog was a guide dog and that she would be OK. At this point the guard asked me where I was going and I told her I was going around to the other side of the school to get my granddaughter in the cafeteria. OK get ready for this the guard then said well if you're going all the way over there why don't you just drive.  This was too much and I started to laugh and I said well because neither my guide dog or I can drive and I just walked through the gate. But the story isn't over because when I got around to the other side of the school and I went to walk in the cafeteria door I was stopped again by someone that said oh you can't bring your dog in the school here we go again.

All that said the Florida service dog law allows for a dog in training to have the same status as a working service dog and being allowed in places of public accommodation. Of course the argument that many public schools make is that they are not a place of public accommodation.

JODY 🐺
thunderwalker321 at gmail.com

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."  DOCTOR WHO (Tom Baker)