[Flagdu] sharing the news of the passing of Mike Sergeant, friend and trainer to many

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Wed Sep 14 17:48:04 UTC 2016

Dear Kathy and FLAGDU list members,

I had Mike's cell phone number so I took a chance and called this morning to
see if someone would answer.  His friend and landlord did answer and was
gracious enough to speak with me.  I also called the Guide Dog Foundation
and received a return voicemail.  Currently, this is what I know.  Mike was
last seen Sunday at 4:00 pm and was found dead in his apartment Monday
evening by his landlord/friend.  His body is at a funeral home in Maryland
and there is no information on their website, according to GDF, but once
family has made arrangements it will be posted.  The rep from GDF gave me
the telephone number to the funeral home and I will call them to get the
spelling of their name and the web site address.

I have fond memories of Mike from receiving my first guide with
Southeastern.  Mike would like to come up behind new students especially
while they were engaged in conversation with other students and he would
unleash your dog.  I was one of his recipients, but he did not get my dog!
LOL  Also, my first guide, Sydney, and I were  sponsored as a team by a
group called the "Tree Trimmers".  The group had fundraiser auctions of
Christmas tree ornaments and Sydney and I attended several of these and were
always honored to sit with Mike and others from SEGDI.

He was a great trainer, but he was much more than that; he was kind, caring,
and compassionate to all of us who were honored to know him. I am very sad
to hear of his passing and I hope that spiritually he knows how much he
meant to so many.

If anyone is interested and if I find out, I will be happy to post his
funeral/memorial service information.

Peace to you all and may we continue with love, hope, and determination to
grow our Federation family.

Warmly,
Merry C. Schoch, LCSW
National Federation of the Blind