[FLAGDU] {Spam?} Guide dog problems

Debbie Malone dmalone510 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 23:55:40 UTC 2021

Dear FLAGDU family,

I am saddened by the resignation of Marion Gwizdala. He has been a
powerful, intelligent leader in the NFB for many years. His knowledge of
the rights of guide dog users and advocacy skills will be missed. As the
new president of FLAGDU I admire and respect Marion’s decision.

The removal of Rev. Susan Blake’s beloved Didi is just deplorable. The
Southeastern Guide Dog representative, Deanna Miller, misused her power.
She showed no interest in working together with Susan. It appears her goal
was to take the dog no matter what. Rev. Blake should never have had to
experience this trauma.

Unfortunately, Rev. Blake’s scenario is not unique. In April 2020 Les
Demer  had his dog taken although he had already begun remedying his dog’s
overweight problem voluntarily. Southeastern attempted to remove Mike
Bowmer’s dog for weight issues but was unable because of Mike’s
self-advocacy. There seems to be a pattern emerging.

The fact that SEGD gets paid $5k for an adoption puts a suspicious nature
on the motivation for removal of guide dogs. The scenario is the same. A
representative from Southeastern arrives unexpected or with none or very
little notice. They claim the dog is overweight. They take the dog,
claiming abuse. The dogs have been with the handler for a long time. The
bond is severed suddenly. There is no opportunity for remediation or for
the handler to defend themselves. It appears to be intentional with an
ulterior motive… money.

The slow, disinterested response of NAGDU and the NFB is disheartening. We
are a consumer organization. Why has this consumer issue not been taken
seriously? Why the lag in response? Guide dogs are being torn from their
“owners” with no consequences. Why does this not warrant immediate, strong
action? The NAGDU board chose not to assist Les and has lagged in their
response to Rev. Blake’s situation.

The abrupt removal of a guide dog without notice, evidence of abuse, and
due process is appalling. Our dogs provide us with independence,
confidence, and safety. Stripping apart the bond formed between a blind
person and their guide dog has devastating effects for both the handler and
the dog. This type of separation is abuse. Southeastern is winning by
intimidation.

Yes, I said it. Southeastern Guide Dogs is abusing, intimidating, and
manipulating their consumers. The fact that they did not give advance
notice of the aforementioned visits demonstrates their intention to
initiate the element of surprise, putting the guide dog user at a
disadvantage. Not being willing to allow due process or fully investigating
abuse suspicion prevents the handler from rectifying any potential problem
or defending themselves. This takes away our voice and our value. Abruptly
separating a team is emotionally and physically devastating for both
parties.

Claims of abuse should go through the animal control officers. They are the
ones to determine abuse or neglect, not a guide dog training program. If
there is true abuse or neglect, they can remove the animal.

Another important consideration is ownership. Each guide dog training
program has their own rules. When a dog can be repossessed, the handler is
always vulnerable, diminishing the individual’s confidence and
independence. There should be uniformity. We should have full ownership
upon completion of the training program. A school should never be able to
repossess a guide dog whenever and for whatever they want.

When searching for a guide dog training program, we need to be proactive. Check
the contract carefully before enrolling. Be sure you get full ownership and
there is a process if problems occur. Find out about after graduation
services. If they won’t let you read it in advance, it may not be the
program for you.

If someone from Southeastern or any other training program comes to take
your dog without due process, don’t let them. Do not give them your dog,
even if they claim to only be taking it to get weighed. You might never see
your dog again. In addition, do not sign anything. You are guaranteed what
you are signing. Don’t voluntarily give up your dog. Fight for due process.

We are aware of three instances with Southeastern guide dogs. If we are
aware of 3 cases in Florida, there are probably more. There are many blind
individual guide dog users who are not members of NFB who will not hear of
these instances. Let’s get the word out in what channels we have access to.
We must offer support, show a pattern with more circumstances, and plan a
course of action.

Please reach out to me with any ideas, instances, or concerns. Let’s work
together to bring about change.

Debbie Malone

FLAGDU President

--