[FLAGDU] Fwd: [NFBF-L] Before You Sign on the dotted Line: Understanding your training program contract

Debbie Malone dmalone510 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 20:36:01 UTC 2021

IMPORTANT! Please share. Thanks.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Marion Gwizdala via NFBF-L <nfbf-l at nfbnet.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 4:17 PM
Subject: [NFBF-L] Before You Sign on the dotted Line: Understanding your
training program contract
To: NFB of Florida Tampa Chapter List <nfbf-tampa at nfbnet.org>, NFB of
Cc: Marion Gwizdala <marion.gwizdala at verizon.net>

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

                The widespread publicity about the recent repossession of a
nearly ten-year-old guide dog by Southeastern Guide Dogs has left many
wondering how they are protected from such arbitrary, unwarranted intrusion
in their lives. Most admit they have never read the contract and wonder
what they might have agreed to. Others are applying to training programs
and want to know what the contract says before beginning training. Everyone
wants to know how they can protect themselves if this ever happens to them!

                On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 8:00 p.m. Eastern (7:00 p.m.
Central; 6:00 p.m. Mountain; & 5:00 p.m. Pacific), Advocates for Service
Animal Partners (ASAP) will host an informative webinar entitled, “Before
You Sign on the dotted Line: Understanding your training program contract”.
This interactive discussion will be facilitated by Marion Gwizdala,
featuring Cody Davis, a blind attorney and guide dog user. Topics will
include

                *”I signed what?” – The importance of reading the contract
before you start your training

                *”Does it really say that?” – Troubling clauses from real
contracts

                *”Possession is 9/10 of the law!” – It’s easier to keep
what you have than to get what you don’t

                *””Is it really mine?” – An overview of property rights

                *”What can the cops do?” – Contract enforcement or criminal
trespassing

                During the webinar we will offer opportunities to ask
questions. You can submit your questions in advance by sending your
question to

Blind411 at verizon.net

With “Webinar Question” in the subject line. Please include your first name
and the city and state where you live. We will also offer opportunities to
ask spontaneous questions by text or email during the webinar. Space is
limited on a first come/first in basis. The information provided during
this seminar is intended as informal guidance only and should not be
construed as legal advice. To join the webinar, please select one of the
following:

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85150236813?pwd=MUJBUldWbmNpL3dkb05wckhrQVJlQT09

Meeting ID: 851 5023 6813

Passcode: 646360

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,85150236813#,,,,*646360# US (Washington DC)

+13126266799,,85150236813#,,,,*646360# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

        +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 851 5023 6813

Passcode: 646360

                Advocates for Service Animal Partners (ASAP) is an
expanding nationwide network of service animal advocates. Our goal is to
encourage, educate, and support service animal handlers through printed and
electronic publications, Informational webinars, recorded educational
materials, and direct advocacy support, intervention, and mediation. In
support of this mission, we also seek to educate employers, governmental
entities, private companies, housing accommodations, and the airline
industry about the rights, responsibilities, and limitations of Service
animal access under state and federal law. In addition, Advocates for
Service Animal Partners intends to influence public policy and laws
affecting disabled individuals who use service animals through the
strengthening of state laws concerning access and removing barriers to that
access.  If you would like to have an impact on public policy and
perception, understand the issues affecting service animal partners, learn
self-advocacy skills, join our advocacy network, and stay abreast about the
effort of ASAP, please send an email message to

blind411 at verizon.net

Watch for our social media launch in early April and the ASAP Hotline in
June!

Advocates for Service animal Partners (ASAP)

(813) 626-2789

Blind411 at verizon.net

Marion Gwizdala

(813) 626-2789