[Gabs] Connecting the Dotz Issue No. 2

Isaiah Wilcox gabs at nfbga.org
Wed Sep 2 14:41:42 UTC 2009

Connecting the Dotz Newsletter
September 1, 2009
Issue No. 2

ON B.L.A.S.T
(Blind Leaders Advocating for the Students of tomorrow)

JOURNALISM CAMP 2009
By: Kayla Weathers

I've always thought that it would be really exciting to be a
journalist that reported on news from foreign countries. But as I got
older my interests shifted to other careers, so I really wasn't that
interested in attending a journalism camp at first. My English teacher
told me about it and I thought, "I don't know anything about
journalism." But as I gave it more and more thought I came to the
conclusion that it was a good idea to keep my career options open and
therefore decided to give the camp a try.
Applying was fairly easy. I learned that the camp would last from June
seventh to the thirteenth, and would be held in Athens Georgia on the
University of Georgia’s campus. I had never been on such a vast campus
before, so I was pretty intimidated.
   At the beginning of the week everyone was assigned to work on
different parts of the paper. I was assigned to work on the news
staff. The teacher had never had a blind student in any of her
classes, but after I let her know what accommodations I needed she was
very helpful. During the first day everyone discussed possible topics
that we were interested in writing on. Since I didn't have to write
anything about national news I chose to write about the benefits of
the Hope scholarship.
Throughout the week I met a lot of students from all parts of Georgia.
I even ran into some one from my hometown who plays basketball at UGA.
All in all I had a great experience at the camp and learned that when
a person is presented with an opportunity they should definitely take
advantage of it!

2009 YOUTH SLAM

The 2009 NFB Youth Slam went off without a hitch.  Georgia was well
represented, there were 23 students from all across the state and 8
mentors who engaged in a Week of learning, meeting new people and
having fun fun fun.  Rashi Goel, who will be a freshman this fall at
Georgia Tech says, "I think
the Youth Slam gave students an opportunity to learn about science and
realize that they can do it in a fun and engaging way".  Justin
Watlington, a junior at North Cobb High School, proclaimed the Youth
Slam to be one of the
greatest experiences of his life.  The week was filled with new
experiences for all the students they participated in a press
conference in which the NFB of Maryland is bringing forth a lawsuit
against the Maryland board of Education proclaiming they are not
properly educating the blind students in Maryland. They also marched
on the capitol. As well as rock climbing and
riding a mechanical bull.

             This is just another example of the NFB and the Jernigan
Institute doing their part to change what it means to be blind.

SUMMER STUDY ABROAD
By: ShaQuantaey Mack

Out of all the possible things that could have happened to me, I
never, in a million years, imagined myself in Africa. It has always
been a dream of mine to visit the continent and experience the
culture, but I never knew how it would happen. One of my professors,
Dr. Ubah, presented me with an opportunity of a life time, and with
the help of scholarships, family, and other sponsors, I was able to
make one of my dreams a reality. When preparing for the trip, I
experienced all types of emotions and concerns. What would it be like
there? Would the natives accept us into their culture? What should I
wear? These were only a few questions that crossed my mind. There were
many times when I was so nervous that it caused me to change my mind
and back out, but I had my family and friends there to encourage and
ensure me that everything would be all right.
When we arrived in Nigeria, we were accepted and embraced by people in
the community. This experience exceeded my expectations. I must admit
that I was rather nervous coming to a foreign country with a visual
impairment, but the Nigerians still treated me like I was one of their
sisters. I have had the opportunity to learn about my ancestors and
the struggles they went through, part of the Nigerian culture, and
many other experiences that I will always remember and hold dear to my
heart. A great man once said, “Going to Africa is like going back home
to a place you have never been”, and it truly felt like home.

CONGRADULATIONS

The Connecting the Dotz staff would like to congratulate Anil Lewis
and Wilkins Eugene on their graduation from the Louisiana Center for
the Blind. We know at times it seemed difficult and frustrating, but
you did it! Congratulations!

A Life Changing Summer
By Kayla Weathers
Rising sophomore at the Georgia Academy for the Blind Courtney Boylan
never expected to have such an interesting summer as this one when she
attended the Colorado Center for the Blind as a summer student. She
first heard about the centers summer program while attending her first
NFB National Convention in 2008. "When I heard about the program I
knew I needed to be apart of it!" she said.
Her parents were skeptical at first about letting her travel so far
away for an entire summer, but decided to let her attend the program.
While at the center she had many new experiences such as catching
public transportation, using a slate and stylus, and preparing meals.
She also participated in rock climbing and rafting. "I would
definitely encourage students to participate in the summer program. It
will challenge them in ways they never thought possible and make them
more confident!"

BRIDGING THE GAP

This article is known as Bridging the Gap. Its sole purpose is to
highlight individuals who have served the NFBGA a number of years. We
will focus on individuals who have been diligent, hardworking and
dedicated to the Georgia Affiliate. This month the spotlight falls on
Magnolia Lyons.

Magnolia Lyons is one of the spunkiest people you will ever meet. She
is also one of the most interesting people you will ever meet. Born in
Sparta, Georgia in Hancock County, one of 12 children, she lost her
vision as a result of spinal meningitis. There were three forms of the
disease at that time, and only one had an antidote, and it happened to
be the one she contracted. Apparently there was an epidemic that was
spread by the soldiers returning home from the war. So she thinks she
could have gotten it from one of the local soldiers in town.

Magnolia attended the Negro Academy for the Blind where she graduated
in 1958. She then went on to attend Morris-Brown College where she
graduated in 1962 with a degree in Philosophy and Religion. She wanted
to major in Foreign Languages. Rehab Services tried to squash her
dream by threatening to end financial support if she pursued such a
major. Please note that during her sophomore year she attempted to go
after the major she wanted,
but to no avail. Rehab Services made her switch back to Philosophy and
Religion. Magnolia will tell you that she has always had that strong
Taurus perseverance.

After taking time to get married and later giving birth to a son,
Magnolia attended Western Michigan University where she obtained a
degree in Blind Rehabilitation Services.

During her working career, Ms. Lyons added much to the staff of
Columbia Lighthouse in Washington, D.C. and the Savannah Association
for the Blind. When she retired she was working for the state of
Georgia Rehab Services.

One note of prominence in Magnolia’s life is that in the 80’s she was
denied entrance into a doctor’s office because she had a dog. She,
along with the NFB, filed a lawsuit. The case went all the way to the
State of Virginia Supreme Court. She won the suit and set a precedent
for blind individuals who have a service animal. They are welcome
anywhere the public is welcome.

When asked, what does it mean to be a part of the NFB she responded,
“It is breaking down barriers. They don’t just do for people they help
them to do for themselves. The fear of a fight does not exist with the
organization. And I like that”.
BLIND VISION
(ARTICLE TAKEN FROM THE HUMANWARE WEBSITE)

HumanWare is proud to introduce its most compact, most powerful DAISY
player to date, the Victor Reader Stream. Blind and low vision people
can comfortably hold this new player in the palm of their hand (4.6 x
2.6 x 0.9) and have the flexibility too quickly and accurately access
content from digital audio books.
Developed with the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the Victor
Reader Stream uses the latest technology from HumanWare to be able to
read digital talking books from the National Library Service for the
Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS). Not only will you be able to
play and navigate the NLS books on cartridges, but you will also have
access to NLS download books. The Stream has a USB port to connect to
your computer so you can transfer download books and music from your
PC to the Stream's SD flash memory card.
As the newest member of the family of Victor Reader digital talking
book players, the Stream offers the same powerful and simple to use
user interface made popular by the Victor Reader Classic+ and Wave
players used by thousands worldwide. The Victor Reader Stream can play
various electronic book formats, including DAISY, Bookshare, text,
wav, MP3 and OGG Vorbis audio files. As well, the ability to play the
popular commercial books from Audible.com will be added by September.
The player also provides integrated text-to-speech for reading books
in text format, such as those from Bookshare. It uses a removable SD
flash memory card to store books, music as well as electronic text,
and can even record voice notes.

"The VR Stream benefits from our many years of expertise learned
through developing and marketing tens of thousands of our Victor
Reader digital talking book players all over the world," says Gerry
Chevalier, Product Manager. "No other DAISY player has offered so much
in such a small device."

The Stream offers the most advanced DAISY functions, as well as
navigation capabilities for all kinds of books, from textbooks to
fiction. Students will definitely appreciate Victor Reader Stream for
quickly and effectively consulting their schoolbooks, making voice
notes or recording their teacher during class. This tool is
indispensable for people who are required to use reference books as a
regular part of their job.

"This new player was designed to meet the needs of the increasing
number of on-the-go blind and low vision students and professionals,"
said Gerry Chevalier. "Its small size and flexible SD card storage
allow our customers to take their entire book and music library with
them anywhere, anytime."

THE GIGGLE BOX

Two campers were hiking in the forest when all of a sudden a bear
jumps out of a bush and starts chasing them. Both campers start
running for their lives, when one of them stops and starts putting on
his running shoes.

His partner says, “What are you doing? You can’t out run a bear.”

His friend replies, “I don’t have to outrun the bear. I only have to
outrun you.”

BLIND DRIVERS PLOT THEIR OWN COURSE
(ARTICLE TAKEN FROM THE WASHINGTON POST)

A voice rose above the chatter in the University of Maryland parking
lot: "Blind man driving!"

Twenty people took turns piloting a car on this muggy Friday morning,
the first public test of technology that might one day overcome
barriers to putting the blind behind the wheel.

The quest to drive has captivated the blind community as it has become
more integrated into a car-centric society. Some likened Friday's test
to a moon landing -- a fitting analogy, considering that the prototype
vehicle vaguely resembled a lunar rover.

"One day, we'll be on the road with them," said Ishaan Rastogi, 15, a
blind New Jersey high school student with a Yankees cap pulled over
his eyes and the first to test the vehicle.

The event capped a summer science academy organized by the National
Federation of the Blind for 200 blind and low-vision young people from
across the country. The youths had spent the week rock climbing,
bungee jumping and launching weather balloons, activities tailored to
teach that there is no limit to what a blind person can do.

Virginia Tech engineers started work on the vehicle in response to a
2004 challenge from the blindness advocacy group to build a vehicle
that the blind could drive with the same freedom as the sighted.

"Blind people can do all sorts of things that the public doesn't think
we can do," said Chris Danielsen, spokesman for the federation. The
blind can read ordinary books with a hand-held device that translates
type to synthetic speech. Adaptive devices permit blind users to
interact with computers and surf the Internet.

Driving without sight became a conceivable goal in this decade with
the development of autonomous, computer-guided vehicles. The Defense
Advanced Research Projects Agency ran a series of contests to inspire
a driverless car that could navigate complex terrain.

By 2007, vehicles from Virginia Tech and several other universities
could complete the DARPA course.

But an autonomous vehicle wasn't enough.

"We want the blind person to be the driver, not to be driven," said
Matt Lippy, 21, a member of the nine-person design team at Virginia
Tech's Robotics & Mechanisms Laboratory.

The design team first sought to customize Virginia Tech's entry in the
2007 DARPA contest, a modified Ford Escape that finished third in the
competition. But the engineers decided it would be easier to start
from scratch. They purchased an all-terrain vehicle online for $1,300
in fall 2008 and began anew.

They mounted a laser sensor to the front of the vehicle to sweep the
terrain ahead and return a signal. A powerful computer at the rear of
the buggy interprets the signal to build a two-dimensional map,
showing obstacles in the vehicle's path.
But how to show that map to a person who cannot see?

Researchers boiled down the data to two crucial factors: direction and
speed. A computer voice signals the driver through headphones how to
steer to avoid a collision -- one click to the left, for example;
three clicks to the right.

"We call it a back-seat driver," Lippy said.

The increments correspond to notches cut from the steering wheel. The
driver turns the wheel and hears an audible "click." The computer
communicates speed with vibrations fed through a vest worn by the
driver. Stronger vibrations indicate it is time to stop. Sensors
automatically kill the engine if the vehicle gets too close to an
impediment. For the test drives, engineers rigged the buggy for a top
speed of 15 mph.

One by one Friday morning, drivers buzzed around Parking Lot 1D, empty
save for traffic cones placed at intervals around light poles. There
were no mishaps.

"It's finally a chance to drive," said Angel Reyes, 16, a junior at
New Brunswick High School in New Jersey, as he climbed from the
vehicle. "Finally a chance to be more independent in getting where you
want to go."

When the team first tested the buggy in May, three blind drivers
completed a curved course without hitting a single cone. In fact, the
blind drivers -- who had never driven before -- fared better than the
engineers themselves, who tried steering the car blindfolded. Lippy
thinks that the experienced drivers tended to ignore the computer
signals and follow their own instincts; the blind drivers obeyed the
computer to the letter.

The blind drivers posed questions that had not occurred to the
engineers. How would they find the vehicle in a parking lot? If they
had to jump the battery, how could they tell the positive cable from
the negative?

The engineers say their first Blind Driver Challenge vehicle is crude.
The computer can sense and avoid obstacles but cannot plot a course to
a destination. The team is working on a more sophisticated interface
to deliver signals to drivers. Their goal is to convert the two-
dimensional map plotted by the computer into something a blind driver
can touch.

They have tested a grid of air holes that shoot bursts of air, using
various pulses and pressures, to convey topographical data. (A higher
pressure could signal hills or bumps.)

"You have to understand, this is a prototype," said Dennis Hong, an
associate professor at Virginia Tech who directs the robotics lab.
"First time in the history of mankind."

He predicts a safe, stable technology for blind motorists will arrive
"within the next three years. The problem is not the technology. The
problem is public perception and legal issues."

He urges detractors to think of the last time they flew in an
airplane. "On autopilot," he said. "Nobody questions that.”

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

September 22, 2009 Web Accessibility Training Day (Baltimore, Maryland)
September 27, 2009 GABS Teleconference
October 2009 Meet the Blind Month
October 9-11 NFB of Georgia State Convention
October 25, 2009 GABS Teleconference
October 31, 2009 Happy Halloween
November 26, 2009 Happy Thanksgiving
November 29, 2009 GABS Teleconference

BRAIN BASHERS

Are you up for the challenge? Test your skills. Can your brain bash
these problems, or will these problems bash your brain?

PUZZLE 1:

How many bricks does it take to finish a ten story building?

ANSWER 1:

It only takes one brick to finish a ten story building.

PUZZLE 2:

We have been quite lucky with the weather recently; it has got
steadily warmer each day, over the last five days. By this, I mean
that the temperature rose by the same amount each day. The average
temperature was 2 degrees C and I know it froze on two occasions. I
also know the product of the temperatures was over 500 degrees but
below 2,000 degrees and each temperature was an integer. What were the
last 5 temperatures?

ANSWER 2:

The temperatures were -6, -2, 2, 6, 10 degrees C. Each day increased
by a steady 4 degrees.

FREE WHITE KANE PROGRAM
(ARTICLE TAKEN FROM NFB OF GEORGIA WEBSITE)

The White Cane is a tool used by the blind to travel independently as
contributing, productive members of our communities and is recognized
everywhere as a symbol of independence.

The NFB is giving, free of charge to the user, straight fiberglass
canes.  The canes are available in the following lengths: 53, 55, 57,
59, 61, and 63 inches.  Any blind individual in the fifty states, the
District of Columbia and Puerto Rico may request a cane for their
personal use.  Requests may be made as often as every six months.

Visit this link to order your free white cane.

RUTH WITH THE TRUTH

Hey. My name is Ruth. I have been raising children since the beginning
of time.  I have known about things that you all may have never
dreamed of. So, if you have any questions please send them to me. I
will give you the some of my sage advice based on my years of
experience. In other words I will do my best to help you. But remember
I can only give advice or get you to look at the situation from
another perspective. You have to make the final decisions for
yourself. Nonetheless,
Still come to "Ruth with the Truth"

Dear Ruth,

My friend’s boyfriend is always flirting with me
When she is not around. His actions make me feel uncomfortable. I have
tried avoiding him, and I have told him that I do not want anything to
do with him, but he keeps flirting and making passes. Should I inform
my friend of the kind of guy she is dating?

Signed,
You Are Not My Man

Dear You Are Not My Man,

Since you have tried avoiding him and you have told him you want
nothing to do with him, try letting your friend know the kind of guy
she is dating. Perhaps she will value your friendship even more.

Sincerely,
RWTT

Dear Ruth,

My father is a well-known local police officer in our city. I am a
middle school student, and I have started hanging out with some older
high school students. When they discovered that my father was a police
officer, my “friends” came up with a plan to get some alcohol. This
plan involved us obtaining the alcohol illegally. They told me that it
would be okay because my father is a police officer, and I will get
off the hook if I am caught. I know that this is wrong, but I don’t
want to lose my new friends. What should I do?

Yours Truly,
Mule

Dear Mule,

We all like having friends to hang out with. But are these guys really
your friends? It seems as if they think that they have come up with a
foolproof plan that will allow them to break the law. Also, never let
go of yourself respect.

  GABS Gossip

CONNECTING THE DOTZ NOW ON NFB NEWSLINE?

Not only is Connecting the Dotz accessible electronically, but now the
newsletter is available audibly on the NFB of Georgia’s Newsline
Service. Stroll through the newsletter easily and more efficiently
obtaining valuable information while at the same time being
entertained. To register for or request information regarding the NFB
Newsline, contact your state office by phone at (404) 371-1000.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION

As the summer draws to an end, we are all
embarking upon a new academic year. And at this time I would like to
make you an offer again, which will help you decide upon that oh so
important question, where should I go to college.
If you are a high school student, you can get the opportunity to
follow a college student for a day, go to class, and see what it
really is like. All you have to do is fill out a brief survey. The
link will be at the bottom of this email. In order for this to work
however, I need all the college students I can get to help. So college
students, please fill out this survey as well. If you are looking for
community hours, here's a great chance. If you have any questions or
concerns, please contact me at:
732-857-7004.

Thanks to all.
Mary

High school students: Click Here
College Students: Click Here

DT ENTERTAINMENT

Are you looking for musical entertainment that will get the party
started? Then DT Entertainment is the DJ Company that will satisfy
your entertainment needs. We provide fun and enjoyment for all
occasions-weddings, parties, and a host of other events. We entertain
the crowd with a wide variety of musical genres; from rap and hip-hop
to country and gospel, we have it all just waiting to get the party
started. If you want your party to be the most talked about event of
the year, then contact Derrick Tuff and Timothy Collins at 404-354-2250.

FOR SALE

The Georgia Association of Blind Students is in the process of selling
T-shirts. These T-shirts are very fashionable and comfortable. The
shirts are royal blue. In the top center of the shirt is the metallic
NFB whoseit logo. Beneath the NFB whoseit logo is the Georgia
affiliate motto for the year, “Everyday People Living Life Everyday”.
The T-shirts are available in sizes ranging from small to 3X. Small-XL
shirts are $12, and 2X and 3X shirts are and additional $3. If you are
interested in purchasing a shirt, contact Lakeisha Holmes, GABS
Treasurer.

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

Dear Connecting the Dotz Readers:

The Connecting the Dotz news team would like to thank you for taking
the time out to read our division’s newsletter. If you have enjoyed
reading the newsletter, tell a friend. If you did not find the
newsletter helpful in anyway, or if you were left unsatisfied, please
tell us. If you have any suggestions and/or submissions feel free to
email the CTD news team at ctd.team09 at gmail.com. Stay tuned for next
quarter’s newsletter scheduled for release December 1st. Thanks again
for your support.