[Greater-baltimore] December Book Club at Maryland Library for the Blind

Jim McCarthy jmccarthynfb at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 00:03:56 UTC 2010

Hello Maryland Federationists:,

The next meeting of the book club at the Library for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped occurs on Saturday, December 11. We will be reading
Happy Days, by H.L. Mencken. The annotation that appears on the BARD web
site states of this book, "Lighthearted autobiographical account of the
muckraking journalist's happy boyhood in 1880s Baltimore, covering his
introduction to music, genesis as a bookworm, adventures as an athlete, and
first steps in theology." For those interested in reading and joining us,
the book identification number is RC or DB in other words both cassette and
digital, 63090.

As many know, Mencken is a journalist of renown from right here in
Baltimore. We seek a mix of fiction and nonfiction and believed reading
something from Mencken was a good choice. I am leading the discussion on the
11th because I want to learn more about him and his contributions to America
and journalism. This particular book focuses more on his childhood but
should offer an interesting look at a Baltimore that is probably much
different than the one we know today. I hope to see many of you at the
library and the book club begins at noon. Also, for those who want to make a
day of it, the Technology User Group TUG, takes place before the book club
starting at 10:00 and concluding at 11:30.

Jim McCarthy