[Greater-baltimore] Tomorrow's hearing

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Mon Jul 12 22:04:42 UTC 2010

Dear Friends:

This is a reminder about tomorrow's hearing in the Federation's case
against the national conference of Bar Examiners, brought on behalf of
three plaintiffs who plan to take the Maryland bar examination in a few
weeks. Many of you are already planning to attend this important
hearing, in which we will try to persuade the court to order the NCBE to
allow these blind bar candidates to take the exam using assistive
technology. If you find that you can attend but have not previously
committed to do so, please send me an e-mail or give me a call, and let
me know whether you will need transportation or whether you can make it
to the courthouse on your own. Please remember that transportation will
leave the National Center for the blind at noon tomorrow, July 13. The
hearing begins at 2:15 p.m. and may last until as late as 6 p.m. Please
make sure you have eaten lunch before the hearing. If you are taking the
Center van, you should try to eat before we head for the courthouse;
however if there is time we may be able to grab lunch downtown. For
those coming to the hearing via other transportation, it will take place
at the United States Courthouse located at 101 West Lombard Street in
Baltimore. The hearing will be held in Courtroom 5A. Below is
information about the Court's security procedures and protocols; please
read it with careful attention and follow the instructions.

If you have any questions, you can reach me tomorrow morning at the
Center or prior to that at 443-552-7698.

Thanks very much for attending this important hearing.

Sincerely:

Chris Danielsen

Court Security

Objective

The main objective of the Court Security Officer (CSO) is to maintain a
safe and secure environment for everyone in the building.  Everyone's
cooperation is needed in order to achieve this very important goal.

Metal Detectors

When you enter the courthouse you will have to go through the metal
detectors that are staffed by the CSO.  In order for this to be an
efficient process, here are a few guidelines that will help you as you
enter the building:

*
No weapons of any type are allowed.

*
No knives, scissors or anything with a cutting edge may be brought into
the
building.

*
Cameras are only allowed to be used in certain areas (please see below
for more information).

*
Please remove jewelry (watches, large earrings, etc) before proceeding
through
the metal detector.  Place these items in your bags or place them in the

trays provided by the CSO before you go through the metal detector.
This
will save you time and prevent you from having to be scanned a second
time
with a hand-held wand.

*	No aerosol containers (hair spray, shaving cream, etc.) are
permitted.

This procedure is done as a matter of safety.  It is not meant to harass
or exclude anyone.  Cooperation is the key to maintaining a secure
atmosphere for everyone in the building.

Cameras & Recording Equipment

Although you are permitted to bring a camera into the courthouse, you
may not use your camera in the courtrooms or other public spaces of the
building unless you are here for a naturalization proceeding.  You also
are not permitted to use your camera in any office unless you have
received the express approval of the person in charge of that office.

You may use your camera in the courtroom only if you are specifically
instructed that you may do so by the person presiding at the proceeding.

Courtroom Conduct

*
Cell telephones, pagers, portable electronic games, portable laptop
computers,
Palm Pilots, etc., are permitted in the courthouse, but MAY NOT be used
in
courtrooms or jury rooms. These items are subject to a security
inspection.

*
No food, beverages, or chewing gum are permitted inside the courtrooms.

*
Please keep in mind you are entering a Federal District Court.  You
should dress in an appropriate manner.