[Greater-baltimore] Fwd: Help with a research study

Riccobono, Mark MRiccobono at nfb.org
Fri Jun 11 12:21:16 UTC 2010

Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 1:19 AM
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Pibe-division] Fwd: Help with a research study

	I have been asked to circulate the following.  She is looking
for people in Massachusetts, or in the Northeast who could travel to
MIT.

Dave

	Lindsay Yazzolino
	E-mail: Lindsay3.14 at gmail.com
	Cell: (425( 417-9239

	We are neuroscientists in the MIT Department of Brain and
Cognitive
	Sciences. We are interested in how early experiences affect how
the
	brain develops. Sighted children use some parts of their brain
to see;
	do these brain regions learn new functions in children who are
blind?

	We are looking for children aged 4-14 years, who are totally
blind, who
	would like to participate in our studies of brain development.

	During the study the child will play fun games with researchers
that
	involve listening to stories and sounds.  Some of the games will
be
	played while we take pictures of the child's brain with MRI
(magnetic
	resonance imaging), which uses a large magnet to record brain
activity.
	MRI is safe for children. By imaging the brain while children
listen to
	stories or sounds, we hope to relate this information to brain
structure
	and activity.

	Children who participate receive gift certificates, books, and
other
	small prizes. They will also get a chance to talk to scientists
and
	learn about their brain. We will reimburse travel expenses for
the
	children and their family.

	To be eligible, children must be totally blind, speak English
fluently,
	and have no neurological or psychiatric conditions.

	Visits can be scheduled at your convenience on weekends or
weekdays at
	our facilities on the MIT campus.

	For more information please contact:

	Marina Bedny