[Greater-baltimore] Important message on our quiet car legislation

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Mon May 24 15:36:18 UTC 2010

Dear Fellow Federationists:

I'm writing with important news about our effort to make sure that
silent cars do not threaten the safety and independence of blind
travelers. The House of Representatives' Committee on Energy and
Commerce will be holding a mark-up of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of
2010 along with other bills tomorrow, May 25, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
The Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 2010 is proposed legislation to create
new automotive standards in response to recent Toyota safety issues.
Representative Cliff Stearns from Florida, the Republican lead on the
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (H.R. 734), intends to offer an
amendment to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 2010 to incorporate a
version of H.R. 734 into this bill during the mark-up. The mark-up, in
which the committee will debate, amend, and rewrite proposed
legislation, is scheduled for two days. We don't know when the Motor
Vehicle Safety Act of 2010 will be marked up, but we expect a
significant amount of the two days to be devoted to this bill.

Needless to say it's very important to show our support for the
Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act and the effort to have it incorporated
into this larger automotive safety bill during this time. If you are
available to attend this hearing please contact Kristian Kunke at the
National center for the Blind by calling (410) 659-9314, extension 2219,
or by e-mail at kkunke at nfb.org, <mailto:kkunke at nfb.org, by> by 3:00 p.m.
today. (Please contact Kristian directly and do *not* reply to this
e-mail; your reply will go to the entire Greater Baltimore chapter list
if you do.) We will be providing transportation, departing from the
center at the Wells Street entrance at 6:30 a.m. and returning between
6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. on May 25. Those who can attend on May 26, in
the event that the bill will still be discussed on that day, should let
Kristian know by close of business today. Please make sure that Kristian
has your cell phone number if you plan to participate on either or both
days.

We apologize for the very short notice.

Thank you:

Chris Danielsen, Chapter President