[Greater-baltimore] help the nFB win $250,000

Aloma Bouma abouma at verizon.net
Wed Sep 22 16:56:10 UTC 2010

Hi Mary Jo:
Well--can I say congratulations?  A little birdie told me something but I
haven't said anything.  So I hope you don't feel bad for very long.  yes, a
lot happened.  The MVBA president is in deep denial about his role in this.
What happened was the board made a decision to request closing several stops
and did it without even taking it to the membership.  Se says this was fine
and that, even though this was done without the full membership, that people
have talked about buses enough for the board to take this action.  Jason did
a good job of asking questions and, of course, we all know that we've not
been involved enough.  So nothing was changed and we just have to work with
MTA now.  I told Jason today that we would do this and said that we all
needed better communication and partnership.  It only got a little heated
when another member, a transit user, was involved, who has a strong advocacy
transit group outside the MVBA.  We talked about the need for those using
public transportation to be involved in these decisions and that all of the
MVBA board drove cars.  Today I emailed the president and the chair of the
MVBA parking and traffic committee and said that, since there was no
transportation committee, I would be happy to talk about these matters with
the parking/traffic committee.  The mission of the MVBA now is clean, green,
and safe, and so I said that public transit fell into all of these
categories.  By the way, we also talked about the increasing crime, the
signs around your building, and gangs in Mt. Vernon.  We can talk about that
later.  And we talked about recycling.  I didn't want them to think that
buses were all blind people cared about.  I hope everybody will pay their
$20 annual dues.  Ellen and I cannot go Oct. 19 because that is the night of
our re-scheduled condo annual meeting but Luann sand she and Maurice could
go.  We most definitely have to have someone there every month.  Jason
Curtis, the president, says the board meetings are open and I have some
concerns about missing those given what the board did with MTA but I don't
know if we can be at both each month.  Maybe if we just take turns it won't
be so bad but if we are at the regular meetings at least that will help and
then, if they pull something again, we can get them for not bringing it to
the membership.  We are used to the way NFB operates and this is different.
Okay, I am sure you can talk to Ellen and Luann for more.  Feel better soon
and let me know if you need anything, Aloma