[Greater-baltimore] Helping the NFBMD and the Environment at the same time!

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Jun 9 21:09:41 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

Ray Smith, a member of the board of the National Harbor Chapter, has helped
the NFB of Maryland sign up to take part in a very unique fund raising
opportunity.  We are partnering with Viridian Energy-a company that supplies
electricity in Maryland.  The electricity Viridian supplies is "greener"
than the electricity provided by BGE or Pepco.  This means it is better for
the environment.  Also, because Viridian is an electric supplier they can
purchase their electricity at a cheaper price and can pass savings along to
the customer.  On average a Viridian bill is 10-12 percent cheaper than a
BGE or Pepco bill.  Because of recent deregulation in Maryland, individuals
who pay for electricity can decide what company they wish to get their
electricity from.  Have I lost you yet???  Well, read on, and I hope I can
find you again!

So what does all of this information mean, and what does all of this talk
about electricity have to do with the NFBMD?  Excellent questions.  Here are
the meat and potatos of this new fund raising opportunity.

If you decide you would like to switch to Viridian as your electric
supplier, the NFBMD will get $2 each month you remain a Viridian customer.
Switching will not cost you anything.  Also, if you decide Viridian does not
meet your needs you can switch back to your original electric supplier at no
cost at any time.  Your bill will still come to you from BGE or Pepco.  The
only thing that changes on your bill is it will say "Viridian" in the place
for electric supplier rather than BGE or Pepco.  BGE or Pepco still own your
electric lines.  If there is a power outage, you still call the company you
have always called.  So, for very little effort you can help the NFBMD, help
the environment, and also save money.  Does this sound like a good deal?
Well, it did to me.  The Riccobonos signed up with Viridian this week, and I
hope many of you will do the same!

To sign up, you will need your account number for BGE or Pepco.  You can
sign up online at

http://www.viridian.com/nfbmd

Click on "Become a customer" follow the three steps, and you will be set.

You can also sign up by phone.  Call 1-866-663-2508.  You will need your
account number as before, and you will also need the Associate ID for the
NFB of Maryland so we get credit for your switch.  The ID number is 17403.

If you think this is a good idea, please feel free to tell your friends and
family about this opportunity as well.  Sometimes people want to help the
NFBMD but do not know how.  This is a very easy way your friends and family
can help if they choose to.

June is a double month at Viridian.  This means if we can get 25 people to
sign up with Viridian by June 30, we will not only get the $50 for the 25
individuals, we will also get an additional $500 bonus for this month.  If
we get 50 people to sign up, we will get $100 and an additional $1000 bonus!
This is simple money out there for the taking.  But we can't take advantage
of it unless you help us by switching your electric supplier to Viridian
today!  Remember, we will continue to get $2 for each customer who stays
with Viridian for as long as that customer stays with Viridian.  This can
really add up, and can certainly be a nice source of income for the NFBMD
throughout the year.  It will certainly help us help more people, which is
what we are all about!

If you have any questions about this new program, please do not hesitate to
contact me at 410-235-3073, or president at nfbmd.org  Viridian also has
opportunities for those interested in selling their products.  Please
contact me if you are interested in more information and I can connect you
to the right people.

Thank you for your support in this new venture.  I know that by working
together we can make this fund raising effort a true success!

Sincerely,

Melissa Riccobono