[Greater-baltimore] Book Club at Maryland Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped March 12

Jim McCarthy jmccarthynfb at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 5 18:41:11 UTC 2011

Federationists:

The next book club at the Maryland Library for the blind and Physically
Handicapped occurs on Saturday, March 12. The selection for that day will be
Jude the obscure by Thomas Hardy, DB/RC22745, BR18665. This is a work of
classic late Victorian Literature. The NLS annotation states, "The author's
last novel first published in 1896, dramatizes the tragic conflict between
the carnal and spiritual life of Jude Fawley, who is torn between love for
his cousin and a yearning to become a priest. The subject of marriage is
treated with a candor unusual for its late Victorian context." Tyson Fogel,
one of our librarians at LBPH,  is leading the discussion. I think that
Hardy is very different from many Victorian English writers and I find him
quite provocative. This is a classic that should stimulate much interesting
discussion among book club participants. I encourage you to download this
book from BARD or contact LBPH to request a copy in Braille, cassette or
digital book. I expect to attend and hope to see Federation friends. The
book club runs from 12:00 pm to 1:30.

Jim McCarthy