[Greater-baltimore] Fun Meet the Blind Month Activity, October 8, Please Respond

Ringlein, Ellen ERinglein at nfb.org
Mon Sep 19 20:35:50 UTC 2011

Federation Friends,

The "Meet the Blind Month" committee of the Greater Baltimore Chapter thought it would be fun for us to participate in a community event as part of "Meet the Blind Month"activities.

Rather than just have a table and handing out literature, we thought we would do something fun in a public arena and show by example that we are part of the community.

We are proposing to go to Summers Farm in Frederic, Maryland after the October 8 chapter meeting.  The farm sponsors verious fun fall activities for all ages.  catch a fun hayride, get lost in the maze, cheer on your favorite pig, and jump to your heart's desire on the gigantic jumping pillow!

Activities include:
Corn Maze
Pumpkin Patch
Jumping Pillow
Rubber Ducky Races
Hayrides
Corn Crib Corn Box
Pedal Cart Preakness
Giant Slides
Straw Mountains
Rope Maze
Farm Tunnels
Farm Barnyard
Right Turn Only Maze
Goat Mountain
Pumpkin Train
Little Farmersville Playland

Apple Cannon - $1 for 3 shots
Pony Rides $3 - Fees benefits local youth groups from noon-4pm on weekends during the month of October
Pumpkins - Sold by the pound

Admission is $9.50 per person; seniors 60 or over are $5.00; and children under two are free.  Attendees will be responsible for purchasing their own admission.  However, we may be able to get a group discount, depending on the level of interest.  We may also be able to provide transportation, depending again on the level of interest.

We thought this would be a fun activity for chapter members and MDPOBC families.

Please let me or Chris Danielsen know by Friday, September 23, if you plan to participate.  Also, please indicate if you need transportation, will provide your own, or if you can give someone else a ride.

Here is some more information you should know about the farm.

A Few Simple Rules...
Please no pets, smoking, or alcohol allowed on the farm.
Accessibility:
We are a real working farm with some rolling hills and unpaved, uneven surfaced paths.  Strollers and wagons can be brought on premises but the ground (like any farm) can be bumpy in spots.
Restrooms:
There are porta potties on site.
Food and Beverages:
On weekends, no food or drinks are allowed to be brought onto the farm.  Food and baked goods are for sale at our Barnyard Grill and The Sweet Shoppe.  No alcohol is allowed on the farm at any time.
Weather:
We strive to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all our guest.   If it is raining or our farm is muddy we are usually closed.  The decision to be open or closed is on a day-by-day basis depending upon the conditions at the farm.  An announcement regarding any weather closure will be recorded on our Farm Hotline and posted here online.
Attire:
Because we operate in September and October, we recommend being prepared for cool weather. We also recommend wearing closed-toe shoes or sneakers. Remember that you will be in a farm atmosphere and should dress appropriately for the best experience.
Busy Times:
Keep in mind that weekends  are our busiest times.  You may want to plan to visit the farm on weekdays from 3 - 7 pm or on weekends between 10 am - 12 pm if you are looking for a smaller crowd.
Farm Barynard:
We ask that you do not eat while in the barnyard.  Please use hand santizer or our portable handwashing station before leaving the barnyard area,  and only feed the food provided in our coin operated dispensers because our animals are on a special diet.
Corn Maze:
Please don't throw or pick the corn.   We ask that you don't run in the corn maze and stay on the paths.   Remember, smoking is not allowed on the farm at all.
Summers Farm, Inc:   5614 Butterfly Lane, Frederick, MD 21703
Phone: 301.620.9316-TollFree: 866.750.9316
Website: http://www.summersfarm.com/

Looking forward to hearing from many of you!

Ellen Ringlein