[Greater-baltimore] Gaining Support for Minimum Wage Legislation; HR 3086

Riccobono, Mark MRiccobono at nfb.org
Mon Jan 23 13:13:11 UTC 2012

Friends,

In case it is helpful to you, below is in part the message I sent on Saturday. Obviously, you should frame it in your own words but I thought an example might be helpful:

Dear  Mr. Chrobocinski,

I am writing to you as a blind citizen of Baltimore city. I recently was disappointed to learn that Congressman Sarbanes has not yet pledged support for HR3086. This bill would eliminate the discriminatory policy that allows the unequal practice of paying people with disabilities less than the federal minimum wage guaranteed to all other Americans. I cannot imagine that the Congressman would oppose the elimination of the two class system of paying workers based only on the fact that some people happen to have a disability.
I would like to urge the Congressman to sign on as a cosponsor of HR3086.  If the Congressman does not support this legislation, I would appreciate knowing the rationale behind supporting the two class system. It is hard for me, as a person who is blind, to understand why our country has a policy that allows me to be paid unequal pay for equal work.

I appreciate your taking the time to read my message. I would be pleased to discuss this request with you further.

P.S. Louis Braille's 202nd birthday was January 4th. His determination to create a system for blind individuals to read and write has made literacy for millions of people across the world a reality. You can learn more about NFB Braille initiatives by visiting www.Braille.org.

Mark A. Riccobono, M.S.ed

Executive Director, Jernigan Institute

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place