[Greater-baltimore] Seeking participants to evaluate new access technologies

Natalie Shaheen nlshaheen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:07:33 UTC 2012

Federationists:

Please see the message below from Shaun Kane one of the 2013 NFB Youth Slam
instructors.

Regards,

Natalie Shaheen

Hello,

The Human-Centered Computing Program at the University of Maryland
Baltimore County (UMBC) is conducting a research study to evaluate new
access technologies to improve reading for blind and visually impaired
people. Our goal is to improve the usability and accessibility of computers
for people with a range of abilities.

To that end, we are recruiting participants for our current research study,
entitled "Evaluating Gesture-Based Access Technologies for People with
Disabilities." This study will ask you to test out a new computing device
that uses gestures to improve the accessibility of OCR software. The study
will take place at the NFB Jernigan Institute in Baltimore, MD.

For the current study, we are seeking blind and visually impaired
participants in the Baltimore, MD area. Specifically, we are seeking
participants who use a screen reader regularly (e.g., JAWS, NVDA,
VoiceOver).

If you are interested in participating in our study, please fill out our
interest form at http://bitly.com/umbc312. If you have further questions
about the study, please contact Dr. Shaun Kane by phone at 206-923-8306 or
by email at skane at umbc.edu. Please note that we cannot guarantee the
confidentiality of email.

To participate in this study, you must be 18 years or older. You must also
have the physical dexterity needed to use a computer for approximately 2
hours and the ability to hear computer audio.

We encourage people of all genders, ethnicities, and familiarity levels
with computers to participate. Remember that it is only the technology that
we are testing, not you.

This study will take between 1 and 2 hours. You will receive a $30 gift
card for completing this study.

Sincerely,

Dr. Shaun Kane

Assistant Professor