[Greater-baltimore] Addaptations for the Blind Music Theory Teacher

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 13:49:35 UTC 2013

Hello, Everyone:

I am a new subscriber to this list, so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Rachel Grider, and I am going to graduate from Peabody Conservatory in a month with two MM degrees in voice and music theory pedagogy. I am currently writing my thesis on adaptations for the blind theory teacher, a subject which does not seem to have been explored much. Once this is published, I am hoping that it will open up many doors for me and other blind musicians who are wanting to make a career in theory.

There are a few topics about which I would very much like some feedback. These are questions faced by music teachers, but I thought that some of you might face similar issues, especially those of you who teach or have taught, and I welcome any suggestions or thoughts you may have.

 First, I would like some ideas about how the blind teacher can check students' in-class work. For example, if the students are practicing counterpoint exercises and the teacher should go around and check their work, what is the best way for the blind teacher to do this? Is it even possible to do it this way?

Second, I would very much like ideas on teaching more advanced analysis to sighted students. I have been toying with ideas, but I have not yet actually taught this part of theory, and I'm not sure if they would work. How can students show the blind teacher that they know how to analyze a score? They could, of course, mark their answers on Sibelius, but can I require them to get Sibelius? Meeting with them one-on-one could be an option, but what if the class is very large and there just isn't enough time? I also thought of making a spreadsheet in XL with pictures of each measure in a box, and there would be spaces for the different aspects of analysis which they would fill in. Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

My third question has to do with teaching beginning students how to write music symbols and place them correctly on the staff. I could, of course, use felt or magnetic cut-outs for this, but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions?

Lastly, I would like to hear your philosophies about how much residual vision should be used in the classroom, both for the blind teacher and for the blind student.I try not to use any, but I'm wondering if it might be practical for some teachers to use some vision to perform certain tasks, such as demonstrating how to write notes and clefs.  Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers,

Rachel Grider