[Greater-baltimore] Reminder: Important hearing next week

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Fri Aug 8 14:26:45 UTC 2014

Hello everyone:

This is a reminder that the trial in our case against the Maryland Board of Elections for failing to implement an accessible ballot-marking system so that blind people can vote privately and independently by absentee ballot takes place next wednesday, August 13. The hearing will be held at the federal courthouse located at 101 West Lombard Street in Courtroom 5B and will begin promptly at 10 a.m. Please plan to attend this hearing if you possibly can.

Be advised of the following: You should arrive early so that you will have time to go through the courthouse security screening process. I will send along a list of prohibited items that you may not carry into the courthouse later, but the best advice is to bring as little as possible with you in order to avoid a difficult security screen and having items potentially confiscated. You may bring your cell phone with you, but it must be turned off while in the courtroom. It is critical that you remain silent and attentive while the court is in session and follow all instructions of the judge and other court personnel to the letter. You should not enter, leave, or move about the courtroom while court is in session; you may only do so during an announced court recess. You should dress in business attire if possible. This hearing is expected to take all day on Wednesday and may go into Thursday as well. It is fine if you cannot attend both days or cannot attend all of one day, but please do not leave the courtroom except during a recess.

I hope to see many of you on Wednesday morning.

Chris Danielsen, Chapter President