[Greater-baltimore] Seeking someone to assist with iphone and other computer tech instruction for a new contact

mary jo hartle mjhartle23 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 02:14:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

  I recently spoke to a woman who contacted me to learn more about the NFB
and our local chapter.  In our conversation, she mentioned that her biggest
struggle right now is learning technology.  She has fairly recently lost
vision and is still recovering to some extent, but is starting to explore
her options for getting back into using mainstream technologies such as her
iphone and personal computer, as well as exploring what options she may have
for returning to her profession in some capacity.  I'm going to give her a
crash course in the basics of voice over on the iphone, but she is also
interested in learning how to use a keyboard with her iphone, of which I am
not as familiar, and she would also be interested in more computer
instruction, though I suspect that this will probably be better determined
when she decides what kind of accessible software she wants to use on a
full-time basis(i.e., a screen reader, or enlarging program, etc.).   I've
suggested some websites for her to check out for software demos, as well as
a trip to the IBTC.  I'm hoping that there may be a few of you who might be
willing to provide her with some technology instruction.  If you have
knowledge on how to use the keyboard with the iPhone, and would be willing
to spend some time with her, please contact her.  Additionally, if you may
be able to provide her some instruction with accessible software, please
feel free to contact her.  , Her name is Yelena Frankel and her email is
yelenafrankel at gmail.com <mailto:yelenafrankel at gmail.com> .  She lives in the
Mt. Washington area.  She could tell you more of what her needs are and work
out more of the details directly with you. She mentioned she may even be
willing to provide some compensation for your time, but you should probably
discuss that directly with her.

Thanks so much for your consideration of this and I hope that some of you
will reach out to her.

Sincerely,

Mary Jo Hartle