[Greater-baltimore] Learn to sail this summer

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Tue Jul 22 12:50:51 UTC 2014

Dear Fellow Federationists:

As earlier posted to this list by Mark Riccobono and mentioned at Saturday's chapter meeting, the Downtown Sailing Center is offering up to five Federation members the opportunity to learn to sail this summer and obtain a membership to participate in the Downtown Sailing Center's program of regular evening sails. I urge all of you to consider participating in this effort. The DSC is a terrific partner and is dedicated to giving all who want to learn to sail, including the blind, the opportunity to fully participate in this fun activity. As an added incentive, the Baltimore Sun is interested in potentially doing a story on this program. Our participation will be a great publicity opportunity for the Federation and our partner the DSC. It is also a terrific opportunity for us to show an interest in community events and organizations beyond our own chapter. Building and supporting partnerships like this integrates blind people into the Baltimore community and ultimately builds support for issues important to us, as well as providing the opportunity to make new friends and have a great time while learning a new skill. All the information you need about the program is below and attached. Happy sailing!

Sincerely,

Chris Danielsen, Chapter President

2014 NFB Sailing Program

Calling all NFB sailors! This summer the Downtown Sailing Center is inviting all interested sailors to jump into our first ever 4 night course. This course will be focused on providing the necessary training to make the DSC programs universal for all participants. By the end of the 4 night program each participant will be able to fully participate in the DSC member sails (every Wednesday and Sunday).

Program Dates: Thursday Nights

July 31st

August 7th

August 14th

August 21st

Program times: 5:30PM-8:30PM

Maximum Number of Participants: 5

Summary of Program Objectives: The program will cover everything from boat and weather safety, rigging and de-rigging and of course sailing!

Cost: $350 which includes a 2014 crew level membership at the DSC (50% discount)

Registration: Please call the DSC offices at 410-727-0722 to book your spot.

Questions?  Please email Lynn Handy at lynn at downtownsailing.org<mailto:lynn at downtownsailing.org<mailto:lynn at downtownsailing.org%3cmailto:lynn at downtownsailing.org>>

We look forward to seeing you on the docks!
[Downtown Sailing Center. Where Sailing is for Everyone.    1425 Key Highway, Baltimore, MD 21230  *  410-727-0722 office  410-843-0612 fax  Baltimore's Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Community Sailing Center  *  www.downtownsailiing.org]<http://www.downtownsailiing.org/<http://www.downtownsailiing.org]%3chttp:/www.downtownsailiing.org/>

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street