[Greater-baltimore] Reminder: Important hearing on Wednesday

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Mon Jun 9 14:42:54 UTC 2014

Hello everyone:

This is a reminder that a hearing to decide whether blind people will be able to mark our absentee ballots privately and independently will take place this Wednesday, June 11. The hearing is scheduled for 10 a.m. in Courtroom 5D of the federal courthouse located at 101 West Lombard Street in Baltimore. You should plan to be in the courtroom until around lunchtime, although the proceedings may not take that long.

A few things to remember: Please come dressed appropriately for court, and arrive early. You may bring cell phones and other electronic devices with you, but these are subject to clearance by the security personnel at the court. Assuming court personnel allow you to carry your devices, you may use them in the public areas of the courthouse, but they must be turned off before you enter the courtroom, and cannot be used in the courtroom under any circumstances unless the presiding judge says otherwise. While court is in session, absolute quiet and decorum is required. Talking and moving about are permitted only when the court is in recess. The instructions of the presiding judge and of court personnel must be followed at all times. Photography, videography, audio recording, broadcasting, or transmission of court proceedings are not permitted. Please remember that a violation of any of these rules could result in ejection from the courtroom or courthouse, and in the worst case scenario, a finding of contempt of court subject to punishment by fine or imprisonment. All that said, please come to this hearing if you possibly can. It is important that we demonstrate to the court that this issue is important to blind Marylanders, so please come and plan to display your white cane if you carry one. I hope to see many of you there!

Sincerely:

Chris Danielsen

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations