[Greater-baltimore] Provide SBE feedback on the online absentee ballot marking tool

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Mon Mar 17 20:16:51 UTC 2014

>From Monday, March 17th through 5 pm on Friday, March 21st, SBOE will offer another round of the online demonstration of the absentee ballot delivery system and ballot marking system.  Go to:  http://www.elections.state.md.us/
There is a link to the demo system under "Hot Topics."  SBOE made a few minor changes since the last demonstration.  Feedback can also be emailed to absentee.SBE at maryland.gov<mailto:absentee.SBE at maryland.gov>.

SBOE is getting a lot of pushback on certifying this system and it is definitely in jeopardy.  So SBOE needs to hear from disability advocates who support the use of the online absentee ballot delivery and marking system.  This system would make absentee ballots accessible to voters with disabilities by allowing a voter to mark and print the ballot using the voter's own home technology.  This is not online voting.  The absentee ballot would still have to be mailed to the board of elections to be cast and counted.

Thanks for your help.

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
HAVA Project Manager and Law Symposium Coordinator
Jernigan Institute
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street
    at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
Telephone: (410) 659-9314, ext. 2221
Fax: (410) 659-5129
E-mail: lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>
Web site: www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org/>

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

To make a donation to the National Federation of the Blind Imagination Fund campaign, please visit www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture<http://www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture>.