[Greater-baltimore] Research study participation opportunity

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Mon Mar 31 16:16:13 UTC 2014

Hello everyone:

Please see below for information about an opportunity to participate in research studies being conducted by Johns Hopkins University.

Sincerely:

Chris Danielsen

The Neuroplasticity and Development Lab in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Johns Hopkins University is seeking participants for psychology research studies. We study how people with varying lifetime experiences process information. Our studies compare the brains of blind and sighted individuals. The goal of this research is to better understand how visual and non-visual experiences contribute to concepts and language.

Participating in our research studies involves listening to stories and sounds, reading Braille and answering questions. Some of our studies involve getting an MRI scan. Each study typically lasts between 2 to 3 hours and participants are compensated $20-$30 per hour for their time.
To qualify for these studies you must be a healthy blind adult between 18 and 75 years-of-age. Prior to taking part in any studies participants are asked to complete a pre-screening interview over the phone to ensure that they qualify. The screening interview takes between 15 and 30 minutes and those who take part in the interview are compensated $15. Participants who qualify will be scheduled for a study appointment.

To learn more, please contact the lab either by calling (410) 870-9895 or emailing plasticity_lab at jhu.edu<mailto:plasticity_lab at jhu.edu>.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
Mobile: (410) 262-1281
E-mail: cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

To make a donation to the National Federation of the Blind Imagination Fund campaign, please visit www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture<http://www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture>.