[Greater-baltimore] Giving Back to Our Community: Support Needed

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 03:50:31 UTC 2015

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Our leaders often remind us that it is essential that we not only articulate
our positive philosophy about blindness to the general public. We must also
demonstrate that blind people can live the lives we want by our example. One
of the most effective ways for us to do this is to participate fully in
non-blindness-related community events, giving of our time, talent and
treasure to worthy causes outside of our organization. It is in this spirit
that I write today asking for your support.

On Saturday, April 11, I will participate in the 7th annual Walk A Mile in
Her Shoes charity walk, which raises much-needed funds for the Rape Crisis
Intervention Service of Carroll County. This event, which has become a
fixture in our county, requires men to walk a mile through Westminster's
main business district while wearing women's high heels. Yes, ladies-I will
quite literally feel your pain. This is a fun way to raise awareness about a
vary serious cause. The RCIS serves a need which, unfortunately, is needed
more and more every year in the Carroll County area. It is a cause in which
I believe strongly, and I hope you do as well.

Therefore, I am asking you to visit the following link and donate what you
can to my walk: https://fundraising.active.com/fundraiser/FSKEagles2. When
you click on this link, you will be taken to the team page for Francis Scott
Key High School, which, incidentally, is the school I attend. Under the
"Team Members" heading, you will see a list of names with a donate link
under each. Please scan down until you see my name, then click on my donate
link. The entire process seems to be very accessible as far as I can tell.
Last year our team raised the most money of all teams which participated,
and we are looking to do so again. I would love it if my Federation family
could be a part of our reaching this goal. Let's show our community that
blind people can and do serve our communities by giving back to worthy
causes such as this! Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely yours,

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, Vice President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @NFBMD

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.