[Greater-Baltimore] 3-d model displayed at Baltimore Museum of Art

Cheryl Fogle-Hatch c.k.fogle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 21:31:28 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I thought some of you might be interested in a tactile model of the
Baltimore Museum of Art now on display.  The model is one part of a
new "welcome space" that BMA opens this weekend.  The model is mixed
materials and Braille labels.  The 3-d part is made by direct
dimensions in Owings Mills, as separate prints of 1st 2nd and 3rd
floors separated by vertical columns.  There are textured blocks
denoting streets and sidewalks outside the building and they sectioned
off galleries inside it.  The whole model is on a long table.
Separately, they have a bound floor plan that visitors can carry with
them as they tour the building produced by National Braille
Press--that volume is fairly standard with a key of symbols and
abbreviations for gallery names.

The welcome space is off the lobby beside the security desk.  In
addition to the tactile model, the space has wall mounted panels and
drawings for sighted visitors.  If you go to the BMA, you can ask
visitor services staff about the sculptures that are safe to touch.
There are also large print gallery guides available, and there is a
cell phone tour for the outdoor sculpture garden.  Information about
the cell phone tour is included at the back of the Braille floor plan.

The BMA staff who designed this model consider it as a prototype.
They contacted us rather late in the design process and they don't
have their own experts in tactile graphics.  They may implement a few
changes that I suggested to make the Braille legends clearer.  In the
future, I may  ask for a few volunteers to test any new design.
Meanwhile, if anyone goes, I'd be happy to receive feedback off list
and pass it along to my contacts.  I am attaching a general press
release from the BMA because it contains basic information for hours
and location as well as a description of recent renovations.

Regards,

--
Cheryl Fogle-Hatch, Ph.D.
Archaeologist and Museum Professional