[Greater-Baltimore] New cab service app available in Baltimore

Danielsen, Chris CDanielsen at nfb.org
Thu Jan 14 13:13:43 UTC 2016

Friends and colleagues:

I noted the below article in the Baltimore Daily Record this morning and thought you all would like to know of this development. We are now, at least theoretically, able to hail Yellow and Checker cabs in Baltimore with an app similar to Uber. Some of us are now loyal Uber customers, and the prices for cabs will still be higher, but we should definitely try this app to see if it is accessible. We have regular contact with Transdev officials so we can easily provide feedback.

Warmly,

Chris Danielsen

Stealing a page from Uber, Baltimore taxi service goes mobile
By: Anamika Roy <http://thedailyrecord.com/author/anamikaroy/> Business Writer January 13, 2016
Taxi companies in Maryland and across the country are in a ferocious battle for survival as ride-sharing services have first nipped at their customer base and then seized huge chunks of it. When people are looking for a ride, it's becoming increasingly common for them to pull out their smartphones rather than to wave their hand on the street.
One Baltimore cab company is joining the smartphone app trend with hopes of improving its services.
Transdev, owner of Checker and Yellow Cab in Baltimore, is officially launching an app this week that will let riders order one of the company's 550 yellow taxis or 90 black cars. With an interface similar to Uber, zTrip lets users book a car right when they need it or for a different day or time. The app also gives estimated fares.
 "With the features we've added, it's a step up from what's available," said zTrip Spokesman Bill George.
The app is most competitive during busy times, such as rush hour or holidays, when Uber is likely to implement higher fares or "surge pricing," said George. zTrip does not enage in surge pricing, George said.
At other times, Uber tends to have lower prices. For example, a 2 p.m. ride to Little Italy from The Daily Record offices at 11 E. Saratoga St. in Baltimore has an estimated fare of between $5 and $6 on Uber, but can cost between $11 and $16 on a taxi requested through zTrip.
zTrip aims to stay ahead of with its pricing, access to a large fleet of vehicles and with its pre-booking service, said George.
"It's simply an add-on to the services we offer," he said.
In March, the app will also offer an ADA button so users can request a wheelchair-enabled vehicle at same price as a taxi cab.
Users also have flexibility in how they pay for their ride. They can pay on zTrip with their credit card, pay in cash in the cab, or have direct bill payment accounts set up on the app.
Like Uber, zTrip also offers a rating system where passengers can rate their experience after the trip. Passengers who give three stars or less will get a call or email from the company as a follow-up.
"We're very attuned to the ratings," said George.
The app had a "quiet" debut in Baltimore three weeks ago on the App store and is currently available for download on Apple and Android devices.
The company, which has 4,000 cabs and 1,000 black cars in cities across the country, has been spreading the word about zTrip's offerings in Baltimore through word of mouth, ads on their cabs and social media.
Around 200 people used the app on Tuesday alone, said George.

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street