[Greater-Baltimore] Meredith Day

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 23 19:29:13 UTC 2016

Congratulations to our own Meredith Day who won first place at the National
Braille Challenge last weekend.  We are very proud of Meredith, who has been
one of our BELL students for many years.  Meredith is only eight years old.
What a great achievement!  Here is how the Braille Institute describes the
Braille Challenge.
Braille Institute Announces 16th Annual Braille Challenge Winners

LOS ANGELES - June 20, 2016 - On Saturday, June 18th, competitors from the
United States and Canada met in Los Angeles for the 16th Annual Braille
ChallengeR, the only national reading and writing contest in braille for
students who are blind and visually impaired.  Sponsored by Braille
Institute of America, the Braille Challenge is an academic competition
designed to motivate students and emphasize their study of braille, while
rewarding their success with fun-filled, challenging events. This year,
regional Braille Challenge events were held at 47 different sites in the US
and Canada from January through March.  Collectively, more than 1,100
students participated in the regional events with top 49 competing in the
finals event over the weekend.
"Braille is a crucial tool that opens the doors of literacy and drives
educational advancement and future employment opportunities," said Peter
Mindnich, President, Braille Institute. "We are inspired each year by the
passion and commitment of the students who compete in The Braille Challenge.
Their achievements empower others who are affected by sight loss to develop
their braille skills as well."
Of all the literacy issues in America, braille literacy is one of the most
underrated and overlooked, and advancements in technology have not replaced
the need for children who are blind or visually impaired to learn to read
using this vital medium. Understanding how essential braille literacy is for
success in the sighted world, Braille Institute developed the two-phase,
annual competition as a way to encourage children who are blind and visually
impaired to fine tune their braille skills and celebrate their
accomplishments.
"Congratulations to the winners, participants, their families and regional
coordinators and volunteers who made this competition a reality," said
Sergio Oliva, MPA, Director, Programs and Services at Braille Institute.
"This two-day competition fostered camaraderie and fun for everyone who
attended."
2016 Winners of The Braille Challenge (full list of all contestants is
available):

Sharon Maneki, President