[Greater-Baltimore] Amateur Radio Event at the NFB This Weekend

Rachel Olivero rachel at olivero.us
Fri Nov 18 13:55:12 UTC 2016

Good morning all:

For those of you who are amateur radio operators, have an interest in
amateur radio, or have no idea what I'm talking about but would like to
learn about the magic of two-way wireless communication: the National
Federation of the Blind Amateur Radio Division will be participating in
a contest called the ARRL November Sweepstakes this weekend. The contest
begins at 4:00 Saturday afternoon and runs until 8:00 Sunday night. The
object of the contest is to make contact and exchange a predetermined
message with as many stations as possible.

We will be operating our amateur radio station, W3NFB, from the dining
room at the Jernigan Institute and setting up a temporary antenna on the
outside deck. The plan is to begin setting up around 2:30 so we can join
the fun promptly at 4:00. We will run until whomever is operating is
ready to call it an evening and resume sometime Sunday morning.

Since the doors to the Jernigan Institute will be locked, please call my
cell phone (765) 977-1683 when you arrive so someone can come let you
in. We will also monitor 146.490 simplex.

For an idea of what an amateur radio contest sounds like here's a
YouTube video of an operator participating in this same contest in 2010:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyM0-lTgPuM.

Hope some of you will join us. pelase let me know if you have any
questions.

73 (that's ham radio speak for "best wishes"),

Rachel AD9O