[Greater-Baltimore] FW: [Nfbmdtlc-chapter] July 29th Housing Action Day

Ringlein, Ellen ERinglein at nfb.org
Fri Jul 7 17:59:08 UTC 2017

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmdtlc-chapter [mailto:nfbmdtlc-chapter-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of latonya phipps via Nfbmdtlc-chapter
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2017 1:57 PM
To: jesse.hartle63 at gmail.com; White, Scott; bacheadle at msn.com; bjwtrek1 at gmail.com; dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com; jcabezas at ospmd.org; JLazar at towson.edu; phippslatonya at gmail.com; laurenaw23 at yahoo.com; Dyer, Marsha; Mary Ellen Thompson; Riccobono, Melissa; tomelissa30 at hotmail.com; mbullis at imagemd.org; nicoledfincham at yahoo.com; riveraley at verizon.net; tmbratcher1999 at yahoo.com; kuhn.ingrid at gmail.com; donaldtkuhn at gmail.com; White, Jenivieve; jacheadle at msn.com; davidb521 at gmail.com; mlgreen79 at gmail.com; abouma at comcast.net; aron.shmuel5752 at gmail.com; madhubee at verizon.net; andreww.hager at gmail.com; SSoldan at modu-tech.net; yelenafrankel at gmail.com; jbarget1 at jhmi.edu; State President, Maryland; igraham at imagemd.org; mameyerstlb at yahoo.com; abreakey at comcast.net; Lilykouo at gmail.com; nclark10 at students.towson.edu; Loiscooksey33 at gmail.com; 09johnadam at gmail.com; zlotos at hotmail.com; patbroda at verizon.net; Anica Zlotescu; bwill2010dev_co at yahoo.com; nfbmdtlc-chapter at nfbnet.org; amberle.grace at gmail.com; Lewis, Anil; cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com; jerry.price1 at maryland.gov; Diane.Ducharme at sprint.com; alfred.t.dagostinophd at gmail.com
Cc: latonya phipps
Subject: [Nfbmdtlc-chapter] July 29th Housing Action Day

Good afternoon,

I hope everyone is having a great summer and finishing their packing for cconvention.  Below, please find the press release for Housing Action Day to be held on Saturday July 29, 2017.  Safe and affordable housing affect all of us in some way and particularly affect the 70% of us who are unemployed or underemployed.  As Federationists, we know how to make our voices heard!  Please consider attending and share this event with others.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 29, 2017

Maryland Advocates Rally July 29th from 11:30am to 1:00pm in McKeldin Square to Call for Greater Federal Investments in Affordable Homes and Community Development

CONTACT: Sarah Sorensen, ssorensen at innow.org, 240-898-2183

BALTIMORE, MARYLAND – Hundreds of advocates, elected officials, and concerned Maryland Citizens are participating in the national Our Homes, Our Voices week of action from July 22-29 with a rally and press conference to bring attention to the affordable housing crisis in our community.  Advocates are concerned that Maryland will lose
$173 million in President Trump’s current budget proposal, reducing or eliminating programs for people with disabilities, low income families and seniors.

The rally and press conference will take place on Saturday, July 29th from 11:30 to 1:00pm at McKeldin Square located at 101 E. Pratt Street in Baltimore.  Everyone is invited to attend and hear from housing advocates, community leaders, and individuals who will be impacted by funding cuts. Find our event on Facebook by visiting https://www.facebook.com/events/153252358556458/

In Maryland and across the nation, far too many families– including low income seniors, people with disabilities, veterans, and families with children – struggle to keep a roof over their heads or are experiencing homelessness. More families are renting than ever before, and our nation’s investments in affordable housing have not kept pace.
As a result, rents are increasing everywhere. But, because of underfunding, three out of every four families in need of housing assistance are turned away.

Instead of reducing our nation’s investments in affordable housing, we need to make a bold and sustained commitment to ensure that everyone has a safe, accessible and affordable home. Because when we invest in affordable homes, we invest in people, our communities, and America as a whole – from increased employment and economic mobility to improved health and better education.

Best,
Latonya Phipps
TLC Chapter President