[Greater-Baltimore] Sad News:

Kenneth Chrane kenneth at samobile.net
Fri Nov 17 02:38:11 UTC 2017

Born March 25, 1943 in Knoxville, Iowa, Arlene Hill passed away
peacefully after battling cancer on November 13 at her home in Ruston
surrounded by her daughters.

Arlene is survived by her children:  Andrea Beasley and husband,
Jeremiah, of Dublin, CA; Eric Gashel and wife, Miranda, of Frisco, TX;
and Valerie Costanza and husband, Sam, of Ruston, LA; grandchildren:
Katrina, Kyle, Kole, and Kinsey Beasley; Camden and Ansley Gashel;
Amelia, Thomas, and Nola Costanza;
sister, Donna Smith and husband, Roger, of Sibley, LA.

Arlene and her three children moved to Ruston in 1987 when she began
teaching Cane Travel at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  For three
decades, Arlene taught hundreds of students the skills needed to travel
wherever they needed, whenever they wanted, in all types of
environments.  Regardless of weather conditions, she was always out on
the streets with her students helping them conquer their fears and gain
the confidence they needed to be independent and successful.  For the
past three years, Arlene taught Home Management.  The kitchen was
always a lively place full of learning, laughter, and life lessons.
She was a cherished mentor, role model, and friend!  She was always
ready to listen, and many sought her counsel.  She was known by all for
her quick wit, loyalty to her beliefs, and “no nonsense” approach to life.

Family, faith, and hard work were Arlene’s priorities.  There was
nothing of which she was more proud and thankful for than her three
children and nine grandchildren.  Whether going to dance recitals,
baseball games, pep rallies, gymnastics events, or babysitting, Arlene
was always there.  She also shared her wisdom with many blind parents
who sought her advice on child-rearing.

Arlene was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church and an active
member of the choir, something which brought her much joy!  She served
in various leadership capacities in the National Federation of the
Blind and always found ways to give back and teach others to serve
through example!  Arlene enjoyed reading, knitting, coffee, making her
famous crockpot candy, shopping, and learning about the latest fashion
and makeup trends.

Arlene shared her positive philosophy about blindness and her faith
with everyone she met through her words and actions!  The following
quote exemplifies her approach:  “If I had a choice, I would still
choose to remain blind … for when I die, the first face I will ever see
will be the face of my Blessed Savior.” – Fanny Crosby

Her legacy will live on through all those who loved her.

A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 2:00
PM at Trinity United Methodist Church in Ruston under the direction of
Kilpatrick Funeral Home.  Rev. Jerry Hilbun will officiate.  A
reception will follow.  In lieu of flowers, planned memorials may be
made to LA Center for the Blind, 101 S. Trenton Street, Ruston, LA
71270, www.louisianacenter.org.

Online condolences may be made to the family at
www.kilpatrickfuneralhomes.com .

Ken Chrane