[Greater-Baltimore] Winter Reading Challenge at MD LBPH!

Ashley Biggs -LBPH- ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov
Tue Dec 18 13:32:36 UTC 2018

Hi everyone! I am excited to announce that LBPH has a great new Winter
Challenge. Please help us reach 50K minutes read, starting January 1 and
lasting through Jan 31st!

Below is a copy of our press release for the Winter Reading Challenge!! If
you have any questions, please let me know! And please join us in this
awesome reading spectacular!

Best,

Ashley

*For Immediate Release*

*Contact:*

Ashley Biggs

Maryland State Library for the

Blind and Physically Handicapped

410-230-2430 | 667-209-1563

Ashley.Biggs1 at maryland.gov

www.lbph.maryland.gov
*Monday, December 17, 2018*

*Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped Hosts
Winter Reading Challenge*

·         Top participating libraries could receive a cash prize

·         Mark Cuban pledges $35,000 to libraries

·         A goal of 50,000 minutes has been set for LBPH

Article

*Baltimore, MD–* The Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped (LBPH) is participating in the Second Annual Winter Reading
Challenge, a collaborative effort from Mark Cuban (Shark Tank) and
Beanstack, a reading tracking website used by libraries to offer prizes and
incentives for readers.

Last year, billionaire investor Mark Cuban sponsored the inaugural
Beanstack Winter Reading Challenge, in support of local libraries. He
challenged over 100 public libraries across the country and South Korea to
meet a collective goal of 1.3 million minutes and approximately 56, 000
books read during the month of January. Last year, he split his $35,000
incentive between First Book, a nonprofit that provides reading materials
to children in need, and top-performing public libraries.

This year, Mr. Cuban and Beanstack have set a collective goal of 5 million
minutes and 75,000 books to be read across North America and South Korea.
The contest begins January 1st, lasts through January 31st, and is open to
all library patrons regardless of age. The library will be posting
challenge updates on social media and will be following the
*#WinterRead2019* hashtag.

LBPH is requesting that patrons read 50,000 minutes during January. The
library, with its nearly 9,000 active readers, believes this is a goal that
can easily be met.

“Our patrons are readers,” Leslie Bowman, Director, stated. “Our patrons
checked out 11,879 books last January, which would definitely account for
over 50,000 minutes.” The library provides books in audio, Braille, and
large-print formats and predominantly sends materials to patrons directly
through the US Postal Service. “Patrons can easily participate in the
challenge by tracking their minutes, either online or by calling the
library’s youth services librarian, LaShawn Myles, who is heading up the
challenge.” Ms. Myles can be reached at lashawn.myles at maryland.gov or
410-230-2455.

For patrons to participate in the challenge, register at
https://marylandlbph.beanstack.org or review details at
www.lbph.maryland.gov. Patrons can also call the library: 410-230-2424 for
additional details.

--

*Ashley M. Biggs*
*Outreach Librarian*

410-230-2430 (office) | 667-209-1563 (cell) | 410-333-2095 (fax)
ashley.biggs1 at maryland.gov

http://www.lbph.maryland.gov

Click here
<http://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSDE&SurveyID=86M2956>
complete a three-question customer experience survey.