[Greater-Baltimore] Help Needed for Annapolis & Washington Issues

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 15:49:41 UTC 2019

Hello All,

On Tuesday, February 12 and Wednesday February 13 the Budget Committees will
be examining the State Board of Elections Budget.  We need to attend these
hearings to let them know that it is time to create one voting system for
all.  If you can attend, please email me off list and I will provide
transportation information, etc.

Please get in touch with your congressman and Senator Cardin to ask them to
co sponsor the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act.   Read the
information below from Gabe. Both issues are very important. Thank you for
your help.

>From Gabe:

As President Riccobono announced at the Great Gathering-In, we have a new
bill which needs your immediate attention. The Transformation to Competitive
Employment Act was introduced in the Senate by Senator Casey of Pennsylvania
and Senator Van Hollen of Maryland, and was assigned bill number S. 260. In
the House, Chairman Bobby Scott of Virginia and Representative Cathy
McMorris Rodgers of Washington introduced companion legislation, H.R. 873.
These bills would phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act
over a six-year period, at which point the provision would officially be
sunset.

All of this means that we have the opportunity to give these bills a strong
start by immediately building cosponsor support for both S. 260 and H.R.
873. Therefore, please call or email your senators and ask them to cosponsor
S. 260 and call or email your representative and has him or her to cosponsor
H.R. 873.

When you call or email, you might say something like the following:

"Hello, my name is [your name] and I am a constituent of [your
senator/representative]. I live in [city, state]. I am calling to urge [your
senator/representative] to cosponsor [S. 260 for Senate calls/H.R. 873 for
House calls], the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act. This bill
would phase out subminimum wages for people with disabilities over a
six-year period, at which point Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards
Act, the provision that allows this practice, would be sunset. I urge [your
senator/representative] to cosponsor the bill. Thanks."

You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard
and asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you
email your representative or senators, please copy me at gcazares at nfb.org
<mailto:gcazares at nfb.org> .

It is critical that we move on this quickly, so please strive to make your
calls and send your emails as soon as possible.

Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy

blindness is not what holds you back.