[Greater-Baltimore] FW: Superfest Disability Film Festival Invitation - March 27, 2019

President, National Federation of the Blind OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org
Thu Mar 7 13:10:16 UTC 2019

Fellow Federationists:

Below is an event you might be interested in. Dr. Catherine Kudlick is blind and you may have read some of her articles through the years in the Braille Monitor. She has done a lot of work to raise the consciousness through disability related films. This should be an interesting discussion and set of films based on what I know of past work. I have agreed to participate in this event. It might be of interest to chapter members interested in disability and media issues. If the chapter was interested, this could springboard into a series of events hosted by the local chapter. Here is the information I have been given. A brochure is also attached.

Superfest Disability Film Festival showcase, March 27th, from 7-9 PM at the Parkway Theater in Baltimore, Maryland.

The event will consist of a screening of four short films, with a cumulative run-time of approximately 74 minutes, followed by a panel discussion. We anticipate that the panel will consider such themes as film-making and disability, accessibility, creativity, as well as intimacy, relationships, and aspiration. The invited panelists include Jennifer Natalya Fink of Georgetown's English department, Catherine Kudlick of San Francisco State University's History department and Co-Director of Superfest, as well as Johns Hopkins's own, Bernadette Wegenstein, who is a film-maker and Professor of Media Studies.

Each of the films include audio description and open captions. The Parkway Theater will also have assisted-listening devices available. Should anyone require the use of an assisted-listening device or sign-language interpretation, we would kindly request notice to ensure that we can accommodate each attendee's needs. This can be done by March 18th through the website of the Center for Advanced Media Studies at: https://krieger.jhu.edu/cams/2019/02/25/disability-film-screening/<https://krieger.jhu.edu/cams/2019/02/25/disability-film-screening/>

I am attaching a flyer for the event, which is accessible for TTS. In addition, I will also list the films and length of each below:

1. Sign (dir. Andrew Keenan-Bolger, 2016) (14 mins.)

2. This is Normal (dir. Justin Giddings & Ryan Welsh, 2013) (19 mins.)

3. Everything is Possible (dir. Tyler Bastian, 2011) (11 mins.)

4. When Brendan Met Hiroe (dir. Steve Mayer-Miller, 2017) (22 mins.)

Disclaimer