[Greater-Baltimore] Reminder About Bernard F Turner Grant

Sharon Maneki nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 15:07:09 UTC 2020

 Hello all,
I hope you are working on your application for the Bernard F Turner Grant
of $200 which will be awarded at the State Convention Banquet on Saturday
November 7. Remember the deadline is October 16. I am pasting the
application and other requirements below. Please spread the word and
contact me if you have questions. Good luck.

Bernard F. Turner, III
Live the Life You Want Award Application
*Bernard F. Turner Award Team*

*PO Box 54176 *

*Washington, DC 20032-4176*

*Bernard F. Turner lost his sight at age 40.  He learned the skills of
blindness and went on to live the life he wanted.   He went back to work
and retired as an Instructional Technology Supervisor from the Arnold &
Porter Law Firm.*

*Last Name______________________________   First Name____________________
MI_____*

*Address_______________________________________________________ Zip
Code________*

*Date of Birth ________________________              Home phone
#_______________________         *

*Cell phone #___________________________*

*On a separate page write a brief essay, not longer than two or three
paragraphs explaining how this award will help you to live the life you
want and achieve greater independence.  Be sure to include when you lost
your sight, how you handle blindness, and how you will use the award.*

*Attach copy(s) of documents supporting the need for award funds (bill for
technology, tuition, etc.) to this application. If you don’t have an actual
bill, send a description and price.*

*Applicant’s Signature
___________________________________________________________*

*Eligibility & Guidelines*

Ø *This award is open to blind people who lost their sight between the ages
of 18-60. *

Ø *Applicants must demonstrate the need for the award through a brief
narrative and supporting documentation.*

Ø *One application per person.*

Ø *The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland (NFBMD) will advertise
and encourage people to apply for this award.  The winner is expected to
attend the annual NFBMD convention, November 6-8, which will be virtual.
The final decision on the winner will be made by the Turner family.*

Ø *Applications will be accepted from September 13, 2020 through October
16, 2020.*

Ø *The winner will be notified by October 31.  The $200 award will be
presented November 7 at the NFBMD convention banquet.  *

Ø *When you submit your application, please send a separate note to Sharon
Maneki, **nfbmdsm at gmail.com* <nfbmdsm at gmail.com>* including proof that you
have preregistered for the State Convention. Please note her new email
address. You may either mail your application to the address provided or
send it electronically to **nfbmdsm at gmail.com* <nfbmdsm at gmail.com>* and we
will make sure that the Turner family receives it.*

*Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy*

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.