[Greater-Baltimore] Urgent Action Needed

Sharon Maneki nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Tue May 18 20:44:32 UTC 2021

Hi Everyone,

Please contact Senators Cardin (shannon_frede at cardin.senate.gov)  and Van
Hollen (deborah_haynie at vanhollen.senate.gov) right away and ask them to
support the Thune amendment to the Endless Frontier Act. Read John Pare's
message below for more specific information. We do not want to be shut out
from the opportunity to use driverless vehicles.

Dear Federation Family:

The National Federation of the Blind has been working with Senator John
Thune on an amendment to the Endless Frontier Act. This amendment relates
to fully automated vehicles and contains two provisions that would benefit
blind people.

The first provision would create an exemption classification for
manufacturers who “provide transportation access for individuals with
disabilities (as defined in section 3 of the Americans with Disabilities
Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 12102)), including non-visual access for individuals
who are blind or visually impaired,” as long as the vehicle was
equivalently safe to a non-exempt vehicle. The second would prohibit a
state from issuing a “motor vehicle operator’s license for the operation or
use of a highly automated vehicle in a manner that discriminates on the
basis of disability.”

Despite support from both automobile manufacturers and disability
advocates, Senator Thune reluctantly withdrew his amendment on May 12 due
to a lack of support from other senators on the Commerce, Science, and
Transportation Committee over safety and liability concerns. President
Riccobono wrote a letter to Chair Cantwell and Ranking Member Wicker
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-chair-cantwell-thune-amendment-endless-frontier-act>
regarding this topic expressing our support and endorsement of the Thune
amendment on May 11.

The Endless Frontier Act has been moved to the Senate floor for debate this
week and Senator Thune plans to bring his amendment forward for a full
Senate vote.

Please contact your senators and ask them to support this important
amendment. When you call or email your senators, you might say something
like:

"Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent of [SENATOR NAME]. I
live in [CITY, STATE]. I would like to urge [SENATOR NAME] to support
Senator Thune’s automated vehicles amendment to the Endless Frontier Act.
The amendment contains two provisions that would benefit blind people. The
first would create an exemption classification for manufacturers who
provide transportation access for individuals with disabilities as long as
the vehicle was equivalently safe to a non-exempt vehicle. The second would
prohibit a state from issuing an operator’s license for the use of a highly
automated vehicle in a manner that discriminates on the basis of
disability. Together, these two amendments will ensure that blind Americans
are able to reap the rewards of highly automated vehicles.

Thanks."

You can contact your senators by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking
for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you email your
senators, please copy Jeff Kaloc at jkaloc at nfb.org. Your calls and emails
do make a difference.

*Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy*

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Everyday we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.