[Greater-Baltimore] The Night Kitchen: Compliments From The Chef

LASHAWN MYLES -MSL- lashawn.myles at maryland.gov
Sat Nov 20 13:00:00 UTC 2021

Hey there, folks!  Josh Urban here, host of The Night Kitchen Podcast.  I
hope you enjoyed Season One as much as I did!  In case you missed it, check
it out here
<https://www.marylandlibraries.org/Pages/The%20Night%20Kitchen%20Podcast.aspx?utm_source=Webiste&utm_medium=Website&utm_campaign=NightPodcast>
.  Nothing winds me up like presenting the entire universe!  For most of
us, space is easy to overlook.  If we’re reasonable, we’re asleep when the
stars are shining bright, and if you’re like many in the audience, perhaps
you’re blind.  I wanted to talk to you about that for a minute.

I went for a walk by the river today.  The leaves blew in a warm November
breeze, and a clear blue sky smiled down.  It was beautiful and absolutely
useless for visual astronomy.  No stars could be seen, no planets to study,
and the distant galaxies we talk about on the show would have to wait many
hours till dark to appear- if only the clouds cooperate. Yet there I was,
thinking about Space, imagining faraway worlds, mysterious planets still
undiscovered, glittering starfields, and strange places where clocks tick
so slowly, time itself seems to have stopped.

When I tell people about our show and the fun we have thinking about Space,
they seem puzzled at first.  “Blind astronomy?” they ask.  Then I tell them
stories about radio astronomy, sonification, and most importantly, how we
use our minds.  Plus, much of the stuff studied can’t be seen anyway. The
same goes for electricity, right? So, this beautiful autumn day when I
can’t see any stars either is a great example of how anyone can let their
imagination travel to the most distant corners of the cosmos.  All that’s
left for us to do is...use it! But, I suspect you already knew that.  Right
on!

I hope this season of the show has not only been fun to listen to but has
made you want to learn more about space.  There are entire worlds out
there, and some of the most puzzling mysteries to unravel.  We could use
your help.  Not only can you be part of this, but your unique perspective
is also welcomed and valued.  Put on that thinking cap, and let’s go
exploring!

Until next time,
Josh

Say hello!  Write Josh at JoshUrban at ProtonMail.com, and listen in at The
Night Kitchen
<https://www.marylandlibraries.org/Pages/The%20Night%20Kitchen%20Podcast.aspx>

Streaming Now Episode 4: How to Do Astronomy
Do you want to know more about astronomy but just don’t know where to
start?  Look no further as we delve into creative ways to do Astronomy.
Additional Resources can be found here
<https://www.marylandlibraries.org/Documents/The%20Night%20Kitchen%20Podcast%20Episode%204%20(4).pdf>
. Now streaming @ https://bit.ly/NightKitchenPodcast

*Gentle Reminder:*
NASA @ My Library Reading Challenge
Sign up for the James Webb Space Telescope Reading Challenge and receive
your official NASA sticker (1 per person).  Challenge starts on December
1st.  Sign up at Beanstack using the following link:
https://marylandlbph.beanstack.org

--

LaShawn Myles

Youth Services Librarian

Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled

Maryland State Library

415 Park Avenue

Baltimore, Maryland 21201-3603

410-230-2455 <(410)%20230-2454> (office)

410-333-2095 <(410)%20333-2095> (fax)

lashawn.myles at maryland.gov
Click here
<https://www.doit.state.md.us/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?agencycode=MSL&SurveyID=86M2956>
complete a three question customer experience survey.

*Follow us on Social Media!*

   - Facebook - MDLBPD <https://www.facebook.com/MDLBPD/>
   - Twitter - MDLBPD <https://twitter.com/MDLBPD/>
   - Linked In - Maryland State Library for the Blind and Print Disabled
   <https://www.linkedin.com/company/64623671/admin/>
   - Blog- https://mdlbpd.blogspot.com/