[GreaterPhilly] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: Paid opportunity to participate in a research study conducted by the University of Illinois

bettebhomer at gmail.com bettebhomer at gmail.com
Mon May 17 00:59:14 UTC 2021

From: NFBNet-Members-List <nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf
Of David Andrews via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 10:47 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fwd: Paid opportunity to participate in a
research study conducted by the University of Illinois

Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study
1. Study Title:
Studying tools to manage and share pictures
2. Study Description:
We are a group of researchers from University of Illinois conducting
research to help blind people and people with low vision manage and share
pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have
designed a mobile App to let users screen private and sensitive information
of pictures they want to share using both artificial intelligence (AI) and
human effort.
We hope that we could study and evaluate this tool we built by letting users
try out it in real life scenarios. We want to gain research and practical
insights as well as user experience feedback from people with blindness or
low vision.
We ask people with blindness or low vision to participate in our study
together with one of their sighted friends. We will divide participants into
"requesters" (people with blindness or low vision) and "allies" (requesters'
sighted friends). Requesters will be asked to download a mobile App in iOS.
The App will first use artificial intelligence services to detect private
and sensitive information in the image and then if there's any, would
suggest users transfer this image to their allies (sighted friends) for a
more thorough check and blur out these sensitive parts.
3. Estimated time for each user/evaluator to participate in the project:
1 hour
4. How many users/evaluators would you like to have participate?
10 to 20 users/evaluators with blindness or low vision and one of their
sighted friend or family member for each
5. Is there a desired demographic for the users/evaluators?
No specific demographic is required. However, currently we are only
recruiting participants with blindness or low vision using iPhones.
6. Can the testing be conducted remotely, or does the user/evaluator need to
travel to a specific location?
Yes, the testing will be conducted remotely through Zoom/
7. List any special skills, and the skill level, the users/evaluators should
have in order to participate:
The only criteria is that we are recruiting users/evaluators who use iPhones
and have taken or are interested in taking pictures to share to social
media. However, allies (friends or family members) can use any electronic
devices to participate in the study, as long as they have access to the
Internet.
8. Compensation
Yes. All participants including people with blindness and low vision as well
as their sighted friends will be compensated with $20 for participating in
the user study, and $10 for the exit interview. Participants will be paid up
to $30 for successful completion of the whole study. In addition,
participants will be paid $10 extra compensation if they refer this study to
friends who also successfully completed the study.
9. Sign-up
Please use the following link to fill in the survey. We will reach out to
participants upon receiving the responses.
https://ischoolillinois.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0vVmhfJViHruycS

Stacie Dubnow, J.D.
Project Manager
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314, extension 2442 | sdubnow at nfb.org <mailto:sdubnow at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>