[gui-talk] Kindle books

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Wed Dec 3 22:45:34 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

It's been available at Amazon for about a year now, and has been discussed
and reviewed in tech articles and columns in the w"straight" in other words,
not blind-accessibility-related) newspapers and such over the past year. Not
a market monster like the IPhone, but not a total loser like a couple of
earlier attempts at hand-held electronic books for the general consumer.
There are a fair number of titles in Amazon's stock that can be purchased as
Kindle downloads, and a function at every book listing allowing the customer
to send a vote in favor of Amazon including the title in their Kindle
library. So, outside of the blind world, it's a happening thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about feeling kept outside, though. Daisy format,
free and non-free text files for reading with a screen reader, not to
mention recorded audio, often for the same sorts of titles that wind up
configured for Kindle, all these things and more are available to us who
can't read visually. Personally, anyway, though I am of course wishing I
could actually see such a thing,I'm not angry or feeling excluded because
it's not mint for my use.

Now, If someone gets Amazon to retrofit these doobies with a speech synth
and navigational commands, and it works well, I guess I'd consider it with
the Victor Stream. But gosh, I haven't even gotten myself the Victor Stream,
yet.

Ah, well.Just IMHO, as w say.

(meaningsoncumer.conseumer.consuim, and has sold accessiblility was had