[gui-talk] access at the ballot box

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat Nov 1 03:11:22 UTC 2008

Every polling place in the nation is supposed to have at least one machine
that is non-visually accessible.  You shouldn't need to bring headphones.
One of the tricky parts is the the election judges and other poll workers
tend to be seniors.  They are given a bunch of training at the last minute,
and nobody remembers how to get the accessible voting machine working on the
first try.  They usually get it going eventually, but it takes more time
than it should. And just because they succeeded in running it during the
primary doesn't necessarily mean they will remember how to do it for
Election Day.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls