[gui-talk] A Very Accessible Program that Removes Spyware

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Mon Nov 3 11:20:59 UTC 2008

CounterSpy available from www.sunbeltsoftware.com is a very accessible shareware program that removes spyware.  You can try CounterSpy for 15 days to decide if you want to purchase it or not.  The company who develop CounterSpy are Sunbelt Software and they also have a product called VIPRE that removes viruses and spyware, (CounterSpy only removes spyware).  VIPRE is also very accessible.  Below is a letter that appeared in a recent edition of Sunbelt Security News which is a newsletter written by people from Sunbelt Software from a person who uses a screen reader.  Although the letter only mentions JAWS CounterSpy also works well with NVDA and Window-Eyes.  -Steve.

Screen-Reader Accessible

Hi, I recently contacted you regarding screen-reader support in CounterSpy and you
were extremely helpful to me, providing me with more appropriate contact details.
However, as I was probably only one of a few who have contacted you with regards
to this, I did not seriously think that any action would be taken. However, the new
version of CounterSpy, and Vipre, to which I have now upgraded, is completely accessible
with my screen-reader. It really works as though it were designed especially for
blind and visually impaired users. I have now been able to ditch the completely inaccessible
Norton Internet Security 2008 and migrate to Vipre, Sunbelt Personal Firewall and
iHateSpam and my system speed has increased dramatically. I would like to express
my deepest appreciation to Sunbelt for making all its products completely accessible
for users of screen-readers as the firewall and spam blocker are also usable.
Any company which can respond to a customer request as quickly as you did clearly
deserves unlimited respects and quite evidently holds its customers in high regard.
I would appreciate if you could also pass my feed- back to the appropriate personnel
so they know that they're efforts are most definitely appreciated. Finally, blind
users can uninstall SpyBot Search & Destroy or Ad-aware Personal edition with script
files, the latter of which is no longer support or updated. Visually impaired people
still use these products; there are not even any script files for the new version
of Ad- Aware to make it work with JAWS. I greatly appreciate your help and all efforts
made by Sunbelt in this matter.
-- Kind regards, Sam Wesley

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net