[gui-talk] Kind of a stupid question from someone new to XP.

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 02:58:19 UTC 2008

Well, you can send the error report -- you will do your part to make windows
a better product -- and you will also get a web page that hopefully
identifies the source of the error, whether or not it is a known problem,
and whatever else they have to say about it. Now unfortunately this does you
very little good as you are typically not able to fix the problem yourself,
but as I said, it does help microsoft.  One thing to remember though: If you
read the link that tells the details of the error report you will get a
disclaimer that the data you are sending may contain information that
identifies you or whatever, but that if this happens it will only be used to
improve microsoft products and for no other purpose.
Also, I have send some of my errors to Microsoft to see what I could learn,
but most often it says something like "error in driver" and gives no
information as to which driver.  If they supplied this information it would
help me as I could identify the developer of the driver and update it, or
else just reinstall the driver to prevent it from crashing again. I tell
this to Microsoft every time but they never change things.
And so I seldom ever send error reports.
Happy computing.
--le